Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Way to go guy's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by UseYourBlinker, Jul 13, 2002.

1. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Way to go guy\'s

If you haven't read my current problems with the K5,let me fill you in.

I am experincing a bad torque converter,and slippiage in the tranny (700r4). I've been quoted atleast $800 for minor repairs all the way up to $1,000 to get it rebuilt.

Some of you guy's have PM'd me or talked to me on AIM (UseYourBlinkr) about doin a sm465/np205 swap. I am getting to the point where I can't drive the K5 daily,so I will be getting a beater in the near future for going around town. Some of the current changes I have planned are:
    4" BDS springs on all four corners (Allready have)
    12 bolt rear (Gotta get from 4X4HIGH)
    35 or 36 inch tires (Gotta get)

I've been doin a little bit of research,and came up with some good info. I would like to hear some more opinions on the 700r4/208 to sm465/205 swap. Pro's/Con's? How difficult is it really to do the swap? Thanks in advanced. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: Way to go guy\'s

If you're lucky your tranny tunnel unbolts rather than being part of the floor. I'm not sure when the bolt in tunnel was last used, but my 81 has a bolt in tunnel.

Obviously you'll need all the clutch parts, flywheel and pressure plate, clutch disc, pilot bearing or bushing and throw-out bearing. This is all bolt up stuff...

You'll need to source a tranny T-case combo, 465 with a 205 (or 208...) plus a bellhousing. I think the most work will be getting the pedals swapped over to manual. It requires a fair chunk of dis-assembly but a complete pedal hanger bucket with both brake and clutch pedals attached is probably the easiest. Take some time with a light and see how your current brake pedal is attached to the under-dash of your truck.

I would recomend sourcing all the parts for a hydraulic clutch, you'll be much happier with it when you're done. <font color="blue">MJ</font color> has a complete parts list for converting to hydraulic from GM. Basically a hydraulic bell, a clutch master cylinder, a slave cylinder and the line that goes between them.

Another thing is that you will need to have driveshafts shortened and lengthened. The rear will have to be converted as well because the 205 will more than likely be a fixed yoke and you have a slip yoke right now. The front will get shortened...

<font color="orange">Ft.CollinsRam</font color> and <font color="orange">Krazie87K5</font color> have both recently done this swap. Dan is done as far as I know. I'm sure both will chime in with their experiences and what to look out for. Chaz also swapped in a 4 gear in the last year I think, plus he is relatively close by so he may be able to help (?)

Just take your time and ask whatever questions you have as you need them answered. A beater to drive in the meantime is a great idea. Once the swap is done you can always sell the beater...

Rene

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Hey Eric...

The auto to manual conversion really isn't that bad...I am done but I haven't driven it yet b/c I am occupying myself with other projects like the shackle flip, 14bff and some interior work...I went with mostly new parts so if you need some PN's...let me know...I also went with a centerforce Dual friction clutch...If you get alther parts together beforehand it is an easy swap...

I second Rene's recomendation towards the hydraulic clutch...your leg will thank you in city driving /forums/images/icons/wink.gif I would have to say the biggest pain in the butt is having to dro pthe steering column to get the pedal assembly out of there...I say go for it man...the only reason I did it was b/c I was sick of burning up 700's with 35's and my stock 3.73 gears and a lead right foot...now I have a bullet proof drivetrain (w/ the exception of the 10B front)and I am about to ad line lock for those burnout competitions...

Later

Chris

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I am thinking about getting the stuff from ARQ. He is selling everything..

"hate to do it but things happen. complete setup from pedals to drive lines out of a 78 3/4 ton $500.00
    inclues;
    sm465/np205 - 10spline
    Xcase adapter and levers
    bell housing
    clutch/pressure plate/flywheel(for pre 86 engine)
    pedals and mechanical linkage(for pre 73 or post 73)
    front and rear drivelines.

located in socal, 92243. prefer not to ship!!

ARQ. "

I will just have to drive down to San Diego to pick it all up..and convince my Dad. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Rene is on the money... only thing he's missing is the throw out bearing is different too... but the pedal thing wasn't that bad for me...

I would totally recommend the swap! But you already know that after all the chatting on AIM Eric! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

-Dan

6. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

Don't feel so bad I just blew out my rear brake wheel cylinders &amp; need to rebuilt the tranny as well(the pump is going out&amp;3rd slippin)SUCKS! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif /forums/images/icons/mad.gif I feel for ya, but it can only get better is always the way I look at it! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif
    Bill C /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

7. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

hey dan you using hydraulic or the mechanical setup?

i just found a 465 with a 205 and a 465 with a 208 but theyre both mechanical...debating on what i should do...

Later

8. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I've got the hyrdro setup! I was always told, "Hydro or don't go!" Lately, too many people have been complaining about the manual cable slipping... that and many other problems with flexing on the trails. Going hydro eliminates all that AND its easier on the left leg in traffic and on the trail!

If you only have access to a mechanical setup... all you need is a hydro bell housing the master and slave cylinders, the hydro rubber line, hydro throw out bearing, and hydro fork. While it all sounds like a lot.... its not that hard.

I've heard from others that they have had the most problems locating a hydro bellhousing... so if I had to get a part first, that would be what I was looking for at the local yards! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

-Dan

9. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

what did the whole setup cost you? or did you scavenge it from separate junk yards and trucks?

Later

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The mechanical doesn't use a cable...it's all rods and junk. Mine definitely does not ever slip and I have it adjusted so it also doesn't fall apart when I get all twisty. It is a heavy, stiff monster of a clutch though. Borg&amp;Beck 3 finger mechanical...traffic driving sucks.

Rene

11. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

I got your pm. go for the hydro setup. you'll need to get the bellhousing. buy the master/slave and hoses new to avoind near future problems and use DOT 3 aproved hoses from the resirvor to the master cylinder.

ARQ.

12. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Hydro baby!!! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif

13. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

If it makes you feel any better I took my rig in to get the rear brakes done cause I don't have time inbeween runs,so now they say my master cylinder is going bad......They are gonna have to give me my old one so I can look at it to see if they are jackin me!
    Bill C /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

the OEM lucas/girling master and slave cylinder are steel and rebuildable.
    the aftermarket Raybestos etc are aluminum and may not survive to be rebuilt easily, unless you can sleeve cylinders.