Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Way to keep my truck legal with no doors?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85scottsdale, Mar 26, 2004.

1. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

Want to take the doors off my truck this summer for some off-roading trips but want to make sure I don't get any tickets, I think I mainly just need to worry about having a driver side mirror, but may need to worry about having some sort of lip on the floor board to catch things that could roll out.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

lip and mirror are your only worries, mirror is easy, lip is more difficult depending on what you want to do about it.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Jeeps don't have solid doors, neither do HMMWVs, and nobody really cares.

4. 85scottsdale

I could just cut a board or peice of steel for a lip that will hold itself in by running it front to back of the cab. But from what i'v heard I never heard of anyone getting pulled over for it. I mean who needs a mirror when I can just lean out and look? hehe.

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Yeah but Jeeps also have the lip they are referring to, it's always an upstep to get into a Jeep, not sure how the others are setup.

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I was thinking about bolting my mirror to the fender. Might look a little off but it will work. I lost some stuff on the road last year without the doors. I was going to try to build some half doors this year.

7. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I have no lip on the bottom.. Never have gotten a ticket.. I have had a few funny looks from cops.. But never pulled over.. I do have a mirror bolted to the tube doors..

[​IMG]

8. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Check your local laws because in PA I was told you are required to have at least a half door and it has to be skinned (no tube door like in the picture). Of course this state has some stupid laws too, I think we are 1 of 2 states left in the union with the blue law pertaining to liquor. You can only buy liquor at state run liquor stores which must close by 9PM and beer can only be bought by the case at a distributer and by the 6 pack at bars/6 pack shops. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. 85scottsdale

I got a friend with a Tacoma who runs with no doors all the time, I think he may have some tube-doors but not sure.

10. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I'de check your local laws. Or get chummy with the local cop.
    [​IMG]
    I drove my 76 like this for most of last summer. Mirrors???
    My neigbor is a local cop. he didn't seem to care, so neither did I!!
    Drove it that way for almost 5 month's. Never got stopped. For a month before the truck got painted and with the old nose on it, I did have a stock mirror mounted on the front fender. Sure was fun!!

11. 85scottsdale

I actually bought my truck from a cop /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

But I don't think using his name would get me out of anything. He works for the Winston-Salem polic department I think, which I live in Lewisville. Maybe I can find a little mirror that I can somehow bolt to the drip rails. I'v seen a street truck with "peep" mirrors that were attached to the cab up at the front of the drip rail.

12. Tweetysuarus

Tweetysuarus 1/2 ton status

I should be running these doors this summer!
    [​IMG]
    Bill

13. 85scottsdale

Why not cut the tops off? Most people I see who use half doors their actually half doors and not a hole door with a bigger hole /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. CammoK5

CammoK5 Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Jeeps don't have solid doors, neither do HMMWVs, and nobody really cares.

[/ QUOTE ]

They both also have mirrors that are attatched to the body and a lip on the floor board.

15. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Yep, Jeeps have foot wells that keep things from rolling out the door if something falls on the floor. Try that with a K5 with no doors. You can kiss whatever fell down good bye and it is leaving at whatever speed you are going. So it can become huge problem at highway speeds. Hense the legality of having no doors and no footwells.

Harley

16. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

lip is easy, bolt a piece of angle iron to the floor where the sill plate usually goes. presto, you have a lip and are 100% legal.

j

17. trollporter

trollporter 1/2 ton status

I took the doors off of my '84 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif and put my mirrors on high enough on my fender to match the body contour. I also took the chrome covers off of my mirrors. It's nice having it there because you can swing your mirrors around in front of your windshield when in the woods,you may have to extend the mirrors up a little but that is nothing but 2 little screws. And as far as doors go I'm currently making a set of half doors out of piece of 1/4 inch dimond tread aluminum using 3x5 angle on the factory hinge and a piece of 2x2 angle for an arm rest. Still working on a spring loaded latch /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif.

18. 85scottsdale

I was thinking about just getting a pair of old doors that don't look great and cutting the whole top off and far as I can down so that the hinges and stuff will still work. Course I think a set of tube-doors would be better, they would look better and I could get them the color I want with some spray paint.

19. trollporter

trollporter 1/2 ton status

Mossuri Off-Road had a Cap off kit made for cut factory doors. looked pretty good on the web site pic. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

20. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

As far as mirrors go, you remember those elephant ear lookin thangs? Usually have a three point mount. The kind you usually see on pullin rigs. Anyways, the arm unbolts from the tripod mount and very handly is just about the same size as the hole in the body half of the door hinges. I'll try to get a picture here in a bit. Just thought I'd get the idea out there. Good luck to ya in the future.

Allan