Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

way too loud!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 74k5inVA, Jan 14, 2002.

1. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

ok, i just have a common question, i am sure, or maybe just an observation. i really want to know why my blazer is so much louder than any other vehicle i have ever seen, including other blazers, corvettes, novas, and anything else that you thought was loud before. i'm talking loud like NASCAR Monte Carlos, but i don't think i have quite as many horses. there are dual exhaust coming out the back, two independent mufflers. it may be loud outside of the truck but inside the truck is almost unbearable. i have been in other blazers before but i think i need earplugs in this one. i can't even hear the stereo turned all the way up and i'm pushing 2 12's with an amp!! what can i do to make it quieter?

If it can't be broken then I haven't had it.
    '74K5 NP203/sm465 4"Lift 35"BFGs 350ci

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Do you have any interior insulation, like carpeted floors, side panels, etc? That will make a huge different in interior noise. Also, you could just need some mufflers that actually muffle. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

3. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

i have that rubber matting stuff. i aslo noticed that i dont have anything under the hood to dampen the noise. bet that makes a big difference.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

What about the back? Do you have side panels back there or just bare sheet metal? K5's are WAY louder inside without the side panels in place. Putting some carpet or something over the rear fenderwells also makes a big difference.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck>www.angelfire.com/super/ThunderTruck</a>
    It's a great day to be alive...

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

What interior you have is not sounds absorbant. The hard top reflects sound so it acts like a echo chamber. Mine is easier on the ears with NO roof than it is with that hard top on. Beadliner put down thick will help keep the noise from being transmited in but it's still reflective. A headliner installed in the top would be a big gain. I'm going to do that on the wifes 79 to quiet it down. I'm going to go to a soft top on my 75 and leave the hard top in the yard for the doog to sleep under.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

6. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

those are my plans for the hardtop too, just as soon as i can get the rockers replaced. so much sag in the body already, i hate to see what would happen if i took the hard top off without replacing the rockers.

7. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

What!?! WHAT??!!?? Too loud you SAY?!? No such thing [​IMG] [​IMG] LOL. Sorry but I think my Blazer is too quiet and I have Flowmaster 40's, but then ask my neighbors about my late night open header tuning sessions [​IMG]

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have always thought Flowmasters were quiet with tailpipes. Try my 12" glasspacks. :) Soon to be straights. The neighbors will love me!

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

9. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

I just got a summit turbo muffler and it has a nice little rumble to it..not to loud at all i hate loud exhaust when i'm driving....my brothers got a 2001 ram with a borla silver bullet...that sheets loud

hola

10. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I would say that the majority of your problem stems from your muffler type. It may be worrth it for you to invest in a pair of Dynomax Super Turbos or Flowmaster 50s. They'll retain that "truck" sound without totally deafening you......

<font color=red>DIGGING AND DIGGING AND DIGGING</font color=red>

11. rock.monkey

rock.monkey 1/2 ton status

When iI first put my glass pack on the sound was defining.(dual 2 1/2 pipes) So i had a H pipe installed, much better,was able to take out the ear plugs.

HTH

Bill Innes
    88' Jimmy

Built for <font color=blue>Function</font color=blue> <font color=red>NOT</font color=red> <font color=blue>Fashion</font color=blue>

12. rock.monkey

rock.monkey 1/2 ton status

When iI first put my glass packs on the sound was defining.(dual 2 1/2 pipes) So i had a H pipe installed, much better,was able to take out the ear plugs.

HTH

Bill Innes
    88' Jimmy

Built for <font color=blue>Function</font color=blue> <font color=red>NOT</font color=red> <font color=blue>Fashion</font color=blue>

13. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

Why don't you just crank up the tunes.
    Shawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>

14. riz

riz 3/4 ton status

<font color=purple> Glass packs = no good !

L8r,
    . Riz . <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/rizmonkey>www.geocities.com/rizmonkey</a>

<font color=purple> BOW CHICKA BOW WOW !

15. Grizzlybear

Grizzlybear Registered Member

You obviously haven't heard my truck. I have headers into 3 inch exhaust into the shortest fatest glass packs you can get then 3 inch out into 4 inch tips. Talk about loud first time i got pulled over for loud exhaust it took 4 cops to do it don't ask em why?:) Maybe it was cause i woke up half the town it was 1130 at night.

16. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

My Jeep had a built 401 going to headers to a short length of tube, then to Glass packs, to the tail pipes, in front of the rear tires. Each side was under 6 feet in length. It used to set off car alarms. For some reason I never got a ticket in it, but I did in my Nissan and Yota. Go figure. My Blazer has headers to 40 ser. Flowmasters and no tail pipes or turn downs, I can drive it no problem w/ out going deaf. Wasnt there someone a while back that was looking for the ultimate loud exhaust? Sounds like he needs your set up.

If ya can't stop.......Smile as you go under! [​IMG]
    PIC of mine from flblazers site<a target="_blank" href=http://www.flblazer.alloffroad.com/photo3.html>
    GO</a>

17. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

"Way too loud" is just right.[​IMG]

I have 2 1/2" 40 series flowmasters, headers, no carpet, no side uphiolstery in the back and yes it is loud. I do have full tail pipes though and to be honest I hear the tires more than the exhaust on the freeway. (36" Bias TSL's)

My neighbore hate my truck...and they can all kiss my a$$[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

18. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

i am not sure it is the exhaust i am hearing. true i hear the tires and i can hear the exhaust coming from the back but it sounds like the engine is going to blow up right in front of me. i hope i am just paranoid.

19. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Are you running headers? a non clutched fan? both make a LOT of noise on the hwy. If you have a solid mount fan (non A/C trucks come with them) convert it to a clutch style and on the hwy is will have enough air flow to desengage the fan. Get some header wrap from Jegs and it will quiet the exhaust down some. Again capet is a sound deadener. I have a big thick door mat over my tranny tunnel to knock down heat and sound. I'm going to be putting a couple snaps on the floor and put some matts down to help with noise and heat. same in the back. Rubber matts just reflect the sound not absorb it so the carpet is key to knocking down sound. I'm going to get a big rubber back door matt like you see at larger buildings and cut it down. Easy to clean with a garden hose when they get muddy.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

20. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

thanks grim, you are probably right about the fan, but i don't think it has headers. guess i could always pull the engine out of a geo metro and swap em.