Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

We all know 18436572 for Chevy motors...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, May 6, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

... but are Chrysler motors the same firing order? I just replaced plug wires on the 440 in my motorhome and its acting like a couple are off.

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yep, a little search on yahoo pulls up the same firing order /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

one of the common ford firing orders is also the same
    some chev race motors use fords other firing order

4. mountainexplorer

Hmmm, well I went out and checked and double checked.

I officially have it 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.

I have #1 where it is supposed to be and everything is hooked up right... but all it's doing is backfiring like it's out of order.

Any way a 1979 440 motor in a motorhome would be different?

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

distributor 180* out?

6. mountainexplorer

It's not backfiring that bad, but bad enough it won't fire up long enough to keep running. I didn't pull the distributor... all I've done is replace cab, rotor and plug wires... all of which I have now checked two or three times. Cap and rotor are on the way they should, wires are all right.

I just wonder if something got down in the carb. I started playing with the choke, but it didn't help any. It was running just fine when I parked it a couple weeks ago, now I go and tune it up and it won't even run. Thats the way it always is with me.

7. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

I haven't worked on any BB chryslers, but plenty of small blocks. It sounds like the distributor is 180* off to me.

8. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

It is the same for Mopars, I have a cuda with a 383 RB. I had the same problem you're describing. Swore up and down the wires were on right, but after tracing them out a couple of times I did have two mixed up.

It happens every time I touch spark plug wires no matter how careful I am. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

9. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

Amen brother, I been turning wrenches professionally now for 10+ years now and to this day I still manage to get 1or 2 wires crossed, i've almost got to where I take magic marker and each one as I take it off just so I can't #%$#^^$# it up, but I still manage to mess it up now and again /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif better hit the "books" /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

i know on the small block mopars..the distributor rotation is backwards from chevy....mabye thats it??

11. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Isn't #1 on the passanger side instead of the drivers side?
    I was going to help my buddy time his smallblock chrysler and when i went to hook up the timing light hes like "what do you think this is a chevy?"

I went to help another guy that just bought a mustang and he said it ran horrible. he decided we'll yank it and have it rebuilt.
    When i was going to tear into it, i realized the plug wires were hooked up 18436572 chevy firing order on this 289 ford engine and the manifold clearly said a different firing order. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Last guy to work on this mustang must have been a chevy guy. no wonder it ran like crap. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Here you go!

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 counter clockwise

pass. side front to rear 1-3-5-7
    driver side 2-4-6-8

13. mountainexplorer

Thanks for the clear up on that. I had it hooked up totally opposite, based on GM motors, and going clockwise. I got it all hooked up "right" now, and the stupid thing will start and run, but still backfires and just falls flat on its face as soon as any throttle is given to it.

Who knows what I did wrong now. I have it hooked up going counterclockwise 18436572 with 1-3-5-7 being on the pass bank and 2-4-6-8 on the drivers bank.

Checked and double checked and triple checked this time, but its still not running right. I wonder if I could have all the wires just placed one off.

14. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Does this engine have a ton of vacuum hoses on it for emissions? maybe they aren't put back together right?

I had an 84 K5 with a 350 & q -jet that had the birds nest of hoses to go with it.

All I did was change the wires and the leaky valve cover gaskets, and when I put it back together, it backfired like it was 180 out, and wouldn't run when I gave it power.

I checked the wires multiple times and they were on right, and I ended up getting a new carb,distributor, new wires, cap & rotor, you name it, I changed it and it still ran like crap.

I finally broke down and took it to a shop.. they routed the emissions hoses properly, and threw a timing light on it, and it worked fine.

Just a suggestion.

Tom /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

15. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

Is it backfiring out the intake or exhaust? If it's out the intake try moving the wires one counter clockwise, the reverse if it's out the exhaust. The best thing would be to throw a timing light on it (if one is available)then just go through the regular tune-up process. I'd guess that it's something with the wires if the truck ran fine before you changed them. I'm assuming that you didn't turn the distributor... Good luck