Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

We get rust in California too (battery tray love)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Aug 7, 2004.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Just took this battery tray and support out of my '74 /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif. Somehow I think the battery leaked at some point... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The PO ignored the fact that it was separated, and put a computer UPS battery in there (which of course didn't fit remotely correctly, so the hold down was left unscrewed) ... it's amazing the truck made it home.

Ah well, new hanger and tray -- primered and painted! -- and a real battery and we're in business.

Should I treat the metal with anything above and beyond primer and rattlecan paint? I see LMC sells a mat, or I could rubber-coat the thing or something... don't want to do this again any time soon, and I see my '74 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif has some bad spots on its trays...

-- A

2. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

Is there blood in your sink? /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif If so, I think a rusted battery tray would be the least of your worries... That's nothing compared to some of the trucks out here, you got away easy. I usually POR15 battery trays to prevent more rust buildup. You should be able to get away with rattle can paint though since your battery is good and the last tray made it almost 30 years before giving up to corrosion. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. dremu

[ QUOTE ]
    Is there blood in your sink?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, no, it's pizza goo from last night. The sink happened to hold the tray nicely for the photo was all. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-- A

4. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

yikes! :Luckyily it got home okay!

5. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

6. dremu

How does a battery fix rust, exactly? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Presumably you mean it won't explode in the future... still gotta fix this mess, though. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-- A

7. backcountry

backcountry 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    How does a battery fix rust, exactly? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Presumably you mean it won't explode in the future... still gotta fix this mess, though. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-- A

[/ QUOTE ]
    By preventing it in the first place.

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    We get rust in California too

[/ QUOTE ]
    pffff, no we don't! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

i got my truck from a guy who lived in santa cruz, not too bad of shape but it has rust here and there. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif rust+bondo=fixed /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i got my truck from a guy who lived in santa cruz, not too bad of shape but it has rust here and there. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif rust+bondo=fixed /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Up here there isn't enough metal for the bondo to adhere to!

Up my way rust+sawzall+welder+"great stuff"+fiberglass+bondo+POR15=fixed for another 2 years. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif