Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

We want Gen. I !!!

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by thatK30guy, Jan 18, 2002.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yep, quite a few on the site are wishing ORD can make the Gen. I again.

Any chance of this kit coming back into production? (please! pretty please!!) [​IMG]

<font color=red>Only real men drive K30's!!!</font color=red> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

2. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

I am confused as to why you want the Gen1 instead of the Gen2. I sold my Gen1 and plan to put in the Gen2 for the larger 205 shaft, steel adapter and the ability to clock the 205 up higher. The only thing you have to do different is change out your 205 input shaft, and you are upgrading it with the change.
    Russ

3. thatK30guy

I want it mainly for that added length it gives to the front shaft.

All because I'm installing one in my K30, which is a long bed. [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

4. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

That's understandable, another possibility for that added length is the 32 spline 465 with the 208 adapter. That is what I am building up right now. It gives you 4 more inches of front driveshaft than with the 203 adapter. Plus it gets rid of that 10 spline 465 shaft. Just a thought.
    Russ

5. ponderingjunkman

ponderingjunkman Registered Member

The 32 spline sounds great, but have there ever been any failures of the 10 spline 465 to 203 junction? Will it stand up to some drag strip action in 2wd high as well as humbling of the local honda hot heads? Just wondering...

No Replacement for Displacement

6. Russ

Russ 1/2 ton status

Couldn't answer that. I don't have a clue if anyone has ever broken one. GM decided to upgrade the tranny for some reason though. It could just be that the coarse shaft is a wear point. But I would just be guessing.
    Russ

7. thatK30guy

It's like Russ said about the coarse spline being the wear point of that set up. They do wear out fast!! [​IMG]

Every 10 spline 205 I have ever come across NEVER had a perfect, good, 'square-shaped' teeth on the shaft. Most were worn.

I have one now that's possibly the best 'non-worn' 10 spline and I was considering converting it to a 32 spline.

All the other 10 spline shafts I have had or dealt with had 'V-grooves' worn in them. [​IMG]

8. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The 10 spline really isn't that great. I've only heard of isolated breakage from pure torque, but more stories of breakage due to wear. One thing to watch also is the female side seems to wear the worst and on a 203 the female spine is part of the gear. Replacement is $150 or more. If you start with a new gear in recreational use, you're going to have a pretty decent life, it seems like they go for 80K+ miles before it becomes a problem, but on some trucks 20K a year is not too hard to do.
    I'd also look into the 32 spline 465. If anything it's easier to find the parts than a 465/203 setup. If you have the adapter sell it to someone that needs it short.
    Running the 203 or the 205 in 2:1 on the street gives some pretty awesome performance. That's how I ran the drag at TTC and it was almost scary fast. A typical honda would be scared when it jumped sideways and smoked the tires. Don't plan on doing anything fast with a 465.......

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.offroaddesign.com>www.offroaddesign.com</a>