Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

We Were Soldiers.............

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Bubba Ray Boudreaux, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

FAWKING A!!!!!!!!

2. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif did your mom drop you on your head too many times as a child?

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

it is a awesome movie isn't it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. ChevyDrivnRdneck

ChevyDrivnRdneck 1/2 ton status

I CONCUR!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I got it on DVD for christmas!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

It's such a kicka** movie. Should be required viewing for all high school students. Screw the hippy, LSD drug induced hysteria bullcrap excuse for good literture, make them watch this movie. Maybe they'd get learnt.

I read some excerpts from the book a few years ago that was printed in a magazine, I'm gonna have to get the book now. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

And not to end this just quite yet, I think the best movie line in a long time is in the movie.

I don't remember the first couple of words, but I'm sure y'all will remember it.

"........the French Army."
    "What's that?" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

BRB, since im a high school student do you recommend i watch it so i can get learnt? Im with ya on the hippy, LSD drug induced hysteria crap, i dont read that.

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Yeah, watch it. It's a great flick that's based on the first major battle that we had during Vietnam.

8. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

Outstanding Movie!!!!!!!

Brett /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I also got it for X-mas...great movie that really drove home the 'reality' of war. The scene where Mel's wife delivers all the telegrams personally was brutal, much more so than than some of the gore. I'll be watching it at least a few more times...

Rene

10. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Damnit Rene! I haven't seen it yet. Your gonna ruin it for me if you keep talking about the plot. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I have a bunch of promotional junk and the book, but haven't seen the movie. Now maybe I'll go rent it.

12. tRustyK5

ooooops!! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Wanna know how it ends?/forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Rene

13. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Blackhawk Down was better IMO. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Blackhawk Down was better IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I was gonna get that one too but Blockbuster didn't have it /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. It would of been a little closer to me since that battle took place while I was in, plus the anger that we had when we saw the pics of the pilot getting dragged around. After we saw that, we wanted nothing but to go over there and flatten the fawkers.

As for it being better, since I haven't seen it, why is that?

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I just think it was more intense. It may just be the type of battle it was. "We Were Soldiers" was cool, but it was a very "traditional" battle. Blackhawk down was an urban battle--very unpredictable. Not like a conventional battle where you have a perimeter, and everything beyond that is enemy and everything inside it is your guys. Just people everywhere, and you never know who will come around the next corner. Just makes for a better movie IMO.

16. tRustyK5

They are both good movies, and I'd have to say both were very high on the 'intense' scale. Fighting an enemy that lives and operates under ground isn't exactly conventional either...

I have seen both movies and I did prefer "We were soldiers". That is just MHO though.

Rene

17. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I just think it was more intense. It may just be the type of battle it was.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I understand where you're coming from; I'm more into reading about a LRRP team than I am about a grunt battalion's battle in WW2. And for me, it wasn't watching the movie for that. I knew going in, what it was about, but it's that "spirit" is the reason why I watched it. Let me ask ya these questions....How were the guys in your platoon when you came out of the NBC chamber or the live-fire, low-crawl exercise with the explosions going off next to you, the camaraderie? You guys knew that you had just made that next step in life that a lot of people never get to experience. And for those that went to war, those feelings are magnified even more. I can more closely relate to Blackhawk Down due to the timeframe, but you know what's hard, I don't talk much about my Army time with my wife cause she can't relate and that's what these movies are, a release from all that.

18. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

Both are very good movies. My dad and I rented Black Hawk Down when we were up in Washington, Rene. IMO, We were Soldiers was better, because they blew up K30's in BHD /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I didn't even reconize Sam Elliot w/o his mustache. I realized it was him until he commented on the weather /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

One of the coolest scenes had to be when Elliot was fighting with his and gun. "Sir, Custurd was a p*ssy..." /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I didn't even reconize Sam Elliot w/o his mustache. I realized it was him until he commented on the weather

One of the coolest scenes had to be when Elliot was fighting with his and gun. "Sir, Custurd was a p*ssy..."

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew he was in it, but yeah, he sure was looking out of character, but that was the perfect role for him.

20. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

I didn't even reconize Sam Elliot w/o his mustache. I realized it was him until he commented on the weather

One of the coolest scenes had to be when Elliot was fighting with his and gun. "Sir, Custurd was a p*ssy..."

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew he was in it, but yeah, he sure was looking out of character, but that was the perfect role for him.

I really liked his attitude, that's the way a senior NCO should be towards officers. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif