Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"We winterize our Diesel"...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by XHitman396, Nov 21, 2006.

1. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

So some of the gas stations around here have that as advertisement, and my roommate asked me about it since he drives a powerstroke and i didnt know. i know that when it gets really cold outside some diesel gets thick and makes it harder to run (at least that's what ive been told), but ive only seen that in like tractors, so i was wondering if it even happened to pickups and stuff..

which reminds me, my cousin works for a firestation and said they got some brand new f-750's with cummins diesels in them, why is that?? did ford buy a share in cummins or something?? forgive me if this has previously been discussed, i dont get a chance to get on here much anymore.. thanks guys..

2. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ford owns no part of Cummins. IIRC once you get above the 550/5500 into the real medium duty trucks, you can generally get any motor you want.

Winterizing diesel is either using an additive or selling #1 fuel instead of #2.

3. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Diesel fuel will "gel" when it gets cold. The stations must get the fuel pre treated with anti gel.

4. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

well that all makes sense.. thanks.. what's the difference in #2 and #1 diesel?? jus the 'anti-gel' additive?

5. BadBob

BadBob 1/2 ton status

#1 has more kerosene in it, and is generally intended for constant speed engines. Winter #2 generally has more kerosene then normal in it, but not a giant increase.