Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

weak 10 bolt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lgk5, Apr 4, 2001.

1. lgk5

lgk5 1/2 ton status

so where is the weak link on a 10 bolt? axles, carriers, tubes
    or maybe i should ask what spare parts should i take with
    me? sorry about all the ? just want to be ready,
    for easter don't want to come back for parts
    p.s. this will be my jimmy's first time out
    <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by lgk5 on 04/04/01 02:37 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Basically, and truthfully, you might as well load a whole spare axle in the back of your truck. If the carrier, ring gear, side gears, pinion gear(s) let go, you're going to be doing more work to fix it than swapping a complete axle over.

Since thats pretty unlikely, I guess I'd have at least one spare axle, and side/pinion gears at least. Any other parts as a spare and you need to properly set up the axle (ring gear, carrier, etc)

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Well, it depends on what exactly you have in the axle (stock or aftermarket parts). Here's my view on the 10-bolt (concerning the rear):

Assuming the axle is all stock:
    The 10-bolt originally had 28-spline axle shafts which generally seemed the weakest point when off-roading, especially with larger than stock tires (extra weight and leverage on the shaft).

Around '87 or so, they upgraded to 30-spline shafts which added a decent amount of strength to the shaft itself. However, the carrier (differential) was simply machined out to accept the larger shaft, thus making the already questionable carrier (especially the Gov-Lock limited slip) weaker than the shaft.

I don't think the housing or tubes would be a problem unless you were jumping or really using it hard.

As far as to which parts to carry, definitely bring along a spare axle shaft. If you do break a shaft, the c-clip axle retention design will allow the tire, wheel, and brake drum to leave the vehicle. This pretty much makes the vehicle undrivable and very hard to even tow. Replacing the shaft is fairly easy to do, but you might want to take along a bearing and seal also as a broken shaft can quickly damage these.

If you break the carrier or gears, than that's a whole different story. Repairing these on the trail would be a major job. The good thing is you can "usually" just unhook the rear driveshaft and drive out with front drive if this happens.

For the front, the same pretty much goes. The axle shafts and/or axle u-joints will usually be the first to go. I recommend carrying a complete set of front axle shafts with the u-joints already installed (just makes repairs much quicker).

In general, the 10-bolts will hold up okay if you understand the strength limitations and drive accordingly.

4. lgk5

lgk5 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info.sorry i didn't give a more details
    rear arb,4.56 ,axles shaftsi dont know ,tires 33"
    front lockrite tires same.
    305eng 4speed man.
    i think i found a spare set of axles

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by lgk5 on 04/05/01 05:43 PM (server time).</FONT></P>