Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

weak power steering

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by muddysub, Jul 7, 2001.

1. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i just replaced the p/s pump on my '89 suburban and it is fine as long as i dont turn the wheel very fast. it seems as if it doesn't flow the fluid fast enough to accomidate quick mauevers. i think by gettin a smaller pulley it will make it pump faster and therefore flow more fluid. am i right, can i get a smaller pulley, will this hurt the pump?

scott,
    1989 suburban 3/4t 4" lift soon to be rollin on 35s, tbi350

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Is your belt tight? You might need a new pump. Your stock pump should be sufficient. My friend has a K20 Sub with 44s on the stock power steering, and it does just fine.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

FWIW, they made different "valves" for the PS pumps. Since you just replaced yours, I'm assuming it wasn't from GM? Did you compare PS pulley diameter before you got rid of teh old one? Mine doesn't give much assist at idle, but thats because its off a car : )

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen