Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

weak power windows

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zach78k5, Jan 20, 2004.

1. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

My power windows, including my rear are all very slow rolling up, and down for that matter. It seems like they are barely getting enough power, especially if the car is off. What could be causing this?

2. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

MIne did that. I tok the panels off and cleaned the 15 years of grease build up in the tracks. Then I sprayed everything with dry teflon garage door lube. Now they are as quick as the wifes new van /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Grease the tracks up and see how much better they work. Spray silicone or WD40 works. If not, you may have to pop covers off and grease the rails the windows slide on.

4. 99firehawk

99firehawk 1/2 ton status

Does your batter guage drop a lot when you hit the button, IF so check all your grounds, that fixed mine.

5. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

as mentioned, clean/lube the tracks and see if that does it.
    Check voltage @ motor and see what's going on. Sometimes cleaning connectors will help.
    Worst case, new motor (did 2 on mine), and WOW what a difference! Motors were about 35-45 on E-bay, but found 1 in town for about same.
    PIA to change, but sweet results.
    Mine used to slow even more in temps below mid teens!

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Not to be nitpicky, but I wouldn't recommend WD40 or silicone for something like this. Lithium grease is probably a better bet.

WD-40 isn't a very good lubricant (doesn't stick around very well, and attracts dust, "WD"=Water Displacing) and silicone spray also doesn't seem to "stick around" very well. If you ask me, WD-40 has silicone in it. They both "act" similar.

For something like a hinge that is easily accessed, maybe, but even then, grease will last longer.

7. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Yea, i had sloooow windows, so i cleaned the tracks and lubed them up with lithium grease. worked great! (for about 6 months...now they're back to being rediculousy slow) "Ummm, just a minute officer, it's going as fast as it can" /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I'll try that

9. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

dyeager is right.. dont use wd40 or lithium or silicone.. use window run lube, or "mini vent window lube" you can buy it at the ford dealer in a small squirt bottle, works wonders..

10. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif mine are waaaay slow too. especially the colder it is. i will be cleaning and re-greasing mine here soon.
    but till then i just open the door to talk , its faster /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. mattjensen

mattjensen Registered Member

All..thanks for the advice.. I have the door panel off my truck now for the same reason. I put some WD on it but didn't know how long it would last. I will look for some run lube. Thanks again.

12. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Don't use grease it collects dirt just like WD40. I read a ton of stuff before I lubed up my table saw and everyone recommended Dry Teflon...It lubes but doesn't hold dirt... I finally found some garage door lube by the people who make PB Blaster and it worked great so I did my doors...even sprayed into the felt and it was 15 deg the other morning and its still smooth /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif