Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weak Spark!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 79Beast, Jan 10, 2003.

1. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I have a 79 355 small block Chevy. It has an Edlebrock 1910 (850 CFM Q Jet), 9.5:1 compression, 268 degree cam with .454 lift and factory rocker arms. I run headers and flowmasters. I have been having problems with my engine running poorly and loading up at idle. It doesn't die, it just drops down to about 450 RPM and puffs a little fuel smoke. Today myself and 72 THING (Will) were putting in my Amsoil 2 stage foam air filter and setting the timing. We had trouble getting the timing light to work. After trying a different timing light, I vice gripped a spark plug to the power steering bracket and put the #1 wire on it with the truck running. The spark looked really weak and erratic. I put a Pertronix coil and HEI module on it less than a year ago. What could be causing this problem? I only had 11.79 volts and the distributer and the same at the battery. I realize this is low...I took my alternator back to the man who built it. I know low voltage at the battery is not the only problem because it did it with a brand new battery as well as with no alternator and a battery charger hooked up. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

If your not getting at least 13V through the system when on, you've got something funky going on. (stating the obvious). I'd check the grounds, and the wiring around the starter. You may have to do a resistance test on all the wires. Try running the engine at night as well, and have someone look around, see if they see any arcing.