Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weak starter on a 1988 k5?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beastofablaze, Oct 7, 2006.

1. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

My rig always seemed like it started hard even with 200k on it but now with a fresh 10:1 motor it just BARELY moves it most of the time not even enough to start... I could probably spin it faster by hand(well maybe not). I have a brand new battery that I just charged and I even hooked up a jumpstarter to it and it didn't turn it fast enough to start... sounds like grinding. Sometimes when it does get it movin it's will have plenty of power then it will almost slow to a crawl.

Anybody else have this problem?

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

sounds like a bad ground. make sure battery is graounded to frame & the engine is grounded to the frame also. i use battery cables & ground the engine & battery at the same place on the frame.

3. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

X's 2

4. alec78

alec78 1/2 ton status

Also check the condition of your cables. If there is any corrosion other then on the battery clamp, replace them. Especially if it goes down into the cables. Also the gauge of the cables could be wrong. Are all connections tight? Good luck!

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

As everyone said, cables....

4 gauge factory cable with ancient lugs? garaunteed you could give a tug and pull something apart.... :doah: :haha: 90% of the time...

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

When I swapped in my big block, there was no chance of the stock starter spinning it over. I swapped in a powermaster mini-high tq starter (not cheap), spun it over pretty good.

Then I decided to make me some 1/0 batt cables. Good googley moogley, that sonofagun is started before I can even turn the key all the way to start :eek1:

7. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

Both cable are brand new but I did have to splice the alternator cable to reach all the way to the alternator. I think a ground is more likely the problem though...