Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wear and Tear ?s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Broke_Wheeler, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Broke_Wheeler

Broke_Wheeler Registered Member

I tried posting in the S10 forum but wouldnt let me i have a 88' S10 w/ a 4 speed. Im in HS so im on a budget. Im planning on a 2-3 inch body lift, and have spent a few hours reading their pros and cons but thats not the point. I want to know how much extra stress my IFS front can take. Especially w/ the added CV angles of bigger tires( that is what im hearing) I Have NO problem hacking up the fenders(which i plan on doing) I want to know what size tire is pushing it with the IFS front... I can get a set of new/mounted 31x15x8.5 inch BFG A/T's for about 200$ This will prolly be my choice BUT icant help but ask how much i would be pushing it w/ some 33inch tires with the stock 3.42 gearing? How much would i be pushing it EVEN with the 31's? How much of a dog will it be? Sorry about the long post and thanks in advance -lyons

2. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

Never had an s-10 but a think the 31'' tire is as far as I would go. With the gears you have any thing bigger would be a dog on the road. I know a guy who wheeled an s-10 on 31's and I think his axles held up fine, 33's I dono. If it was my truck I'd skip the body lift and cut the fenders to fit. If you want to mud this truck I'd also get tires more aggressive than bfg at's. Also bigger tires will not change your cv angle at all, only susp. lift will do this.
    Hope this helps and have fun with that truck! Any more ? post up!

3. Broke_Wheeler

Thanks for the reply jk3078. Yea i got the truck for free(dads) its rusted 110,xxx miles on it but runs good. Im not TOO worried about lonjevity just giving me something to play with until the beggining of the summer so i can get a fullsize. Its going too see 80% sand thats why im going with the A/T's and i couldnt refuse the price. The other 20% will be very light mud and easy trails. The reason i was considering the body lift was to get the cab up a bit higer because that 80% where i ride in the sand has lots of water holes scattered about. one came over the hood on the stock s10 on 28's but that a diffrent story still pulled it through though :). Liek i said low initial cost is highest on the list. Any more comments are greately appreciated.

4. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

Run your air intake inside the cab if your running in deep water, sucking water into your motor will def. kill the fun! If its just a beater weld the rear diff. You love the traction! The AT's are good in the sand but anything bigger than 31's will dog out bad. Body lifts can be a pain in the a$$ but thats up to you. Have you thought about stripping it down for better power to wieght ratio?

5. Broke_Wheeler

Stripping what out.. thers nothing in the cab, or were you refering to taking off the bed? Ive def been dreaming of building a truggy, and i think this would be a decent place too start. I want to keep it looking like a truck at least until the end of summer.(Its my dads "baby" and im lucky i got it in the first place lol) But my ultimate goal would be 1 ton axles sm465/205 350SB and a tube frame. But thats WaY down the road. But for now, i think ima stick with the body lift.. and the 31 A/T's I agree i think the 33's would cause nothing but trouble. I have thoguht about a locker, id really like too get one, but dont really like the idea of a welded rear as it will be daily driven for about 6 months, and i really dont want to spend 400 for a detroit :/ On a side note I am going to start acquiring the above mentioned parts 1 tons/trans/t-case.. for whatever i choose...wether it be a s10/truggy, or lately ive been thinking of putting all chevy parts in a CJ-8 ::gasp:: i know.. just options, and you can never have too many options :) Keep the suggestions coming

6. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

Stripped, doors, hood, bed, what ever. I shed over 2000# off my sub-buggy by stripping it. Yea 350/465/205/60/14ff is good under anything. Better start saving cash! Yea if your dd this truck welded is not the best.