Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wear Protective Gear When Working on your rig!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dhdescender, Aug 21, 2003.

1. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    Last night I was putting the final touches on my fender hacking. I was usng a jig saw, and had my head in thw wheel well. I got a bunch of crap in my eye, thought I got it out, put googles on, and carried on. When I was done, my eyes were getting seriously irritated, so I went to the mirror to have a look. I could see a black spot on my Iris, and NOTHING i could do could get it out. It was past the time for drop-in clinic, so I toughed it out and went to bed.

Morning came, told work I wasn't coming in, and took myself and a bloodshot eye to the regular clinic. After some fiddling with a needle, he told me to get my ass to emergency. I arrived there,had my eye frozen, prepped, and they removed much of the piece of RUSTY METAL from my eye. Then I endured 15minutes of an "eye wash" which is nowhere near as pleasnt as it sounds. Its basically a contact with a hose on the end of it, which is connected to 500cc's 1/8th of a gallon of solution. They then froze it, told me to go home, and they'd do it again tomorrow morning.

Essentially, just remember its far better to just do the job right, than pay for it in the end. I will still be able to see, but I'm missing 3 days of pay, and my head hurts like hell. I'm certinaly not looking for pity, I just wouldn't wish this upon anyone else!

At least Canada's got free medicare, right? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I had a similar medical treatment about 12 years ago when a tap broke while I was rethreading a bolt hole. A piece of metal from the tap got stuck in my eye. Not pleasant at all. The piece would catch on my eyelid when I blinked..I tried real hard to keep it open /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

3. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear that man! Hope you get to feeling better. I know what you mean about protective gear. They harp on us all the time about it at work. You never can be too safe....

Kris

4. o2bjimmy

o2bjimmy 1/2 ton status

I had the misfortune of an eyewash awhile back when I got acetone in my eyes.

5. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

please please please protect your eyes. That cannot be stressed enough as this post points out. A coworker of mine got a piece of steel bead in his eye. It is a media used in sandblasting, small round steel beads the size of a grain of sand. The problem was this bead was smooth and basically undetectable once it gets up under your eyelid. We are not sure how long it was up there but we got a call that he had to go to the emergency room with severe eye pain. The steel bead had rusted causing an infection and almost cost him his eye /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

6. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

I feel for you man, had the same thing happen at work thought I could tough it out only to run to emerg the next morning.Brings back memories.
    Still have a spot in my eye and that was five years ago.

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks for posting that reminder for all to see. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif No one here is invincible although we like to think we are most of the time. Hope your vision clears up quickly and fully. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

You will rarely see me working on my truck without safety glasses. More often than not I'm wearing ear protection too when using air tools or pounding with the BFH. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I nearly lost my left eye twice,once when I worked in an auto parts store I was pressing out old U-joints on a customers driveshaft one of the cups shattered and peices went in my eye--I was mr.it'll be allright for a night too-had to go thru what the other poster said with the needle,and rusty steel dug out of my eye.About a year later I had a full gallon of paint I had mixed fly out of the paint shaker just as I ran over to shut off the machine--it hit me right in the face,and the whole gallon of school bus yellow R-M Super Max enamel was in my eyes,hair,everywhere. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gifI was out of work for more than a month,and they fired me so they wouldnt have to pay my workmans comp- /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif-ended up in a lawyers hands,but in the end all I got was the months pay I lost--luckily my eye still works but is not 100%,and it gives me a lot of greif sometimes when welding.My most recent "wound" was when I cut a 1/4 inch x 3 inch bolt off a muffler hanger with the torch while lying under my truck--when it cut it dropped right next to my collarbone,went through my shirt instantly--I ran for the hose a few feet away but the bolt had melted right into my skin /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif--its been about a month now and its healing good--but I wont do that again--I use a sheild of plywood when cutting now.Since I have eyeglasses I cant use regular saftey glasses and goggles are too cumbersome so usually I just wear my glasses--but many times peices of metal that would have bounced off my face richochet off the lens of the glasses and goes right in my eye! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Be careful out there--these trucks can/will bite ya!.

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've done that more times than I care to admit...occupational hazard for me. I do wear a full face shield at work for most things, but nothing is fool proof. My favorite is when they use an electic burr to dig the piece out of your eye. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Last time I went in for something in my eye the Doc said the surface of my eyes looked like a road map of scratches...

I hate wearing all the protective gear too, but in the end you get to enjoy not being hurt./forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

10. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

BTDT......

I was wearing a standard set of safety glasses when grinding the "lip" off my 14BFF. A small particle of iron got around the glasses and into my eye. I got the "electric dremel" treatment at the optomologists office, and things are fine now, but I find myself wearing full-on GOGGLES for more things now....simple safety glasses aren't always appropriate.

REMEMBER KIDS: It takes a lot longer to go to the Doctors office and recover from your injuries, than it does to simpy locate your goggles on the workbench and put them on!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif