Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weather Stripping

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MrArmyAnt, Jan 19, 2006.

1. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
  2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

All I can say is, if you want stuff that will last another 28 years, buy what you can from GM.

BTDT, along with a lot of other people, aftermarket seals are not worth the savings/risk/quality compared to OE. As a matter of fact, I bought two of all the stuff I know is going to wear out. I plan on keeping the truck forever, I'll need them eventually, and GM won't have them by then.

Put together a parts list then get with Jim on here, or gmpartsdirect.com. Either will more than likely save you a ton over your local dealer. There shouldn't be too many you can't get.

3. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    Thanks! Went to gmparts direct and for accesories year only goes back to 95 :(

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You'll have to get the part numbers from posts on here, and if you can find a nice dealer (Jim here??) maybe they can get you a copy of the exploded diagram and parts listing for weatherstripping.

They may not be able to go back as far as your year either, but as long as you know which pieces are different based on year, you should be fine. Most are the same I believe. Then pick up whatever GM doesn't have from someplace like LMC that sells each piece.

My first seals from LMC were pieces of junk, but even then they let me return them since there was a valid reason, so I can't fault them too much. The aftermarket stuff probably all comes out of the same factory in Korea or Thailand or whatever no matter who is selling it. The last ones I got from LMC (the pieces that seal the bed rails to the topper) were pretty decent. A bit short, but that may have been by design. They stretched, so they still fit though. I believe these are still available from GM, for some reason I spaced those when I ordered GM parts.

Since apparently you don't have the truck yet, you will probably want to hold off buying this stuff until you own it. :) $500 is probably about right with a great GM price, maybe a bit higher.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

dunno about the other seals, but if you want good quality door seals, try JC whitney. I thought they'd be kinda cheapo crap but wanted some new seals... anyway, long story short, I ended up being very impressed with their initial quality and they worked great right up until I quit running doors on my K5. :)

j

6. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

I SECOND that!!!! Go to GM and pay the extra $$ and get REAL OEM seals. I made the mistake of buying rear window seals for my 90 from LMC and what sh*t they were. I just replaced the front door seals and window seals and used OEM perfect fit with no drama.

Dan