Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weatherizing For The Winter?

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by clubba68, Oct 13, 2003.

1. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

OK, I have come to the realization that I am not going to be driving my truck but a few times this winter. At least for the first part of it. What are some preventative measures that I should take to winterize my truck so that I don't have problems come spring time?
    Thanks,
    Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

keep it dry - inside, engine, etc...
    Keep it warm - I.e. antifreeze, garage, etc...

In Oregon we dont really have harsh winters, so you shouldnt really have any problems holding it for a few months. You will want to keep it lubed and occasionally start it to make sure that the bearings dont get flat spots... but all in all as long as its not sitting in the rain every day you should be ok. If it is sitting in the rain every day, you will want to do what I mentioned above. just my .02

3. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Ditto...

If you can't keep it in the garage or a shop, at least cover it with a car cover or a tarp...or something....

4. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

As for right now it is sitting outside. Hopefully I will be able to put it in my buddy's garage. His garage is full of old Woody's and hot rods. It's actually his dad's garage, and I don't think his dad is too keen on the idea of having my beast in there. I'll keep hoping though. If not, maybe my parents will let me tarp it in their driveway (doubtful), but worth a shot.
    Thanks,
    Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif
    Anything else I need to be doing?

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

another thing to think about, is if its going to be down or not driven for a period of time, is to put it up on stands to keep the tires off the ground.

6. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

I have new tires awaiting wheels for me to put on this winter if the project ever takes off, so I am not too concerned about flat spots.
    -Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif
    (Do you like my new icon by my name or no?) [Beavers fans need not answer.] /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. T-ROY

T-ROY 1/2 ton status

I would go to G.I.Joes and pick up a demoisturizer for the interior. They should be with the camping gear and will keep the mold and mildew down to a minimum. I would also leasve some way for air to circulate a little without letting water in. That might help keep your seats from looking like science experiments when you do get to drive it. Who has ever smelled that "Oregon truck" smell? Just a thought.
    T-roy

8. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Good idea. I remember when I used to have my little beamer some moisture got into it and that mildew crap ran a course on my recaros and seatbelts.
    -Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i just crack all my windows just a little bit... dont seem to have probs with mildew or built up moisture. Of course, my interior is stripped and herculined, so maybe its not too mildew-prone anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

j

10. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    "Oregon truck" smell

[/ QUOTE ]
    LMAO too funny.
    I noticed today that I have clumps of moss in the moldings on the 73 and it is driven everyday. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
    The K5 definately has the "Oregon truck smell" again.
    When I bought that rig it had been sitting in the basement of the one shop I worked at for several years, at first I thought the interior was green. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

11. bpiccioni

bpiccioni 1/2 ton status

I got a pretty good deal on Dri-Z Air at Wheeler Dealer - I think it was about $4.00 for a container and a packet of the drying crystals.

I'm running it in my /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif this winter just to keep moisture down - it seems to fit pretty good between the wheelwell and passenger seat.

12. T-ROY

T-ROY 1/2 ton status

Simplicity is the end result of the wise man.