weatherstripping woes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dbozman, Feb 25, 2007.

1. dbozman

dbozman 1/2 ton status

Nov 11, 2006
    Man, what a nightmare. My new (to me) 74 is basically going to be a street driver for me, so I wanted to make it and comfy (and rattle free) as possible. Bought $400 worth of weatherstripping from LMC.

Very little of it seems to fit correctly. Biggest offenders are the hardtop window moldings that attach to each side of the top. They were too long, so I cut them to fit. Now they don't properly interact with the door caps (upper front of each door) and the doors won't come close to closing. Nor do the windows roll up and down properly now.

Jesus, what a pain in the arse.
  2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Dec 13, 2000
    Sorry to hear it. On a '74 probably not much if any available from GM, but I say buy GM if you have the opportunity, as the additional cost is worth it.

I had same issues with LMC seals. Make sure you call them and tell them about what is going on. They gave me partial credit (I made the seals work) and I *hope* that my feedback will improve their product. Once GM stops selling the stuff, aftermarket is all we'll have. Everyone can't possibly just take this poor quality stuff and accept it.