Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

weaver coporation two post car lift

Discussion in 'The Tool Shed' started by 84CUCV, Jan 28, 2007.

1. 84CUCV

84CUCV 3/4 ton status Premium Member

OK my dad is looking at this for his shop. $800 bucks installed. New motor and pump. Has two big chains across the floor. never saw one like that before. So i guess its a older one. Can lift 7k. Model # AFH-72AWH So is this a good way to go or not. thanks for the help

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

eh....not that great..

My friend had a "Fiapp" lift like the type your decsribing..It had an electric motor with a timing belt type drive,and it had a floor plate that hid a motorcycle chain to drive the other side of the lift,and it used long acme thread shafts with brass nuts on the lift arms to lift the car...he had to change the chains twice (Harley Davidson chain fit perfect!)...and the brass "nuts" that did the lifting wore out and he had to have 2 custom made at a machine shop..but he did use this lift commercially for years,so I'd stop short of calling it "junk"..lets just say the hydraulic ones seem to hold up better..

If your only using it for personal use it might last a long time..800 bucks isn't that costly,but I could have bought my friends when his shop was sold for 100 bucks..was a 6000 lb lift..I'd have bought it,but my truck weighs that much empty,I didn't trust it,being old and all..I should have bought his table top alignment lift instead..but someone beat me to it!..:doah:

3. 84CUCV

OK witch would be a good lift to go with? for around the same price. thanks

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

not many in that price range...

You wont find a lift for under 1500 bucks (new) that is much good..there are some "parking lifts" for that price in catalogs like Northern Tool,but it says right on them "not reccomended for daily bussiness use"..that tells me they don't hold up for long if you raise and lower it a lot!..for a "backyard" mechanic they might be fine though...

Used is the way to go,in my opinion..I run into "deals" once in a while,like when a garage closes or is sold, and new owners want the place "gutted" so they can remodel the building to their specs..but I haven't been able to be the lucky one to "score" a lift so far..mostly because I lacked the means of getting it home..(now I have a friend with a ramp truck,so I'll probably never see another lift going for cheap!:doah: )..

I'd like to have a lift in my shop,I feel its pretty worthless without one--I'm always begging my friend to use his,it makes working under vehicles so much easier ..I ache for days after lying on a cement slab,crawling on the floor!..:(
    But I blew all my money putting the building up,and probably wont ever get enough up to buy a lift now..

I liked the lift my friend had for doing wheel alignments--it had two "tracks" you drove the car up on,then it lifted the car..it was open in the center,and had a rolling air jack--made tranny and exhaust work a breeze..had turntables for the front wheels,and had an 11,000 lb rating!..I was stupid to let that one get away!..I like that style better than the "two post" ones--no smashing the side mirrors on the posts,or struggling to get out of the vehicle,since the doors often hit the posts..or having to work on it outside,because the vehicle is too wide to fit between the two posts...:doah:

I have seen others here in my area find good used two post lifts for 800-1000 bucks,but they had to pay to have it installed ,and hire a truck to get it there..I have seen many different brands,they all seem to work pretty well,I cant say there is any particular brand to avoid or seek out..seems they all have their problems sometimes..my friend bought a "Bend-Pak" lift used for 800 bucks that is like new,but he had to have the motor on the pump rebuilt already,despite it not being used that much before ho got it..cost him 200 bucks to have the motor rewound..still cheap compared to a new one though....:crazy:

5. 84CUCV

OK thanks i will do some looking around