Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

web page building questions

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mudhog, Mar 2, 2004.

1. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

what is the best and easiest web page building programs you guys use?

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

the quickest and easiest is the Macromedia stuff. Macromedia fireworks will let put a page together soooo quickly and it looks fresh. I was using frontpage but it was such a hassle. Throw in Macromedia Flash and you have
    some pretty cool page stuff.

I put my page together using multiple programs, but it was fairly easy with the Macromedia stuff to add to the pages frontpage foundation.

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I did mine with frontpage, it's dead simple once you have a handle on it, and feels normal if you use, say, Word a lot.

I'll do one for you or help you with one if you want, the really hard stuff is when you want custom buttons and graphics, not text links.

4. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

I like Notepad /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

best way for the absolute beginner... Open microsoft WORD in any of the newer OFFICE Suites. Save as HTML. then make you page just like doing a page layout in word.

My perfered way... Macromedia Dreamweaver and photoshop for the images. I dont care for fireworks but I haven't used it alot either.

Frontpage SUCKS /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

6. jjlaughner

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Weirdo /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

He said best and easiest... if you like notepad so much where is YOUR webpage /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. Resurrection_Joe

I used to use Word, then it started [darn] up my layout when saved, so I use frontpage now (the ARRRRGH version)

I use Photoshop for all my art too though

Frontpage works for me, and the following "(Noun/Verb/Adjective) SUCKS!" doesn't sound very intelligent

8. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    "(Noun/Verb/Adjective) SUCKS!" doesn't sound very intelligent

[/ QUOTE ]

...... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif......but it does..... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

9. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

http://www.homestead.com/

It's not free, but it does have way easy stuff (tools) you can use if you want too. If you break down the cost of what it is monthly and what you get, it's not a bad price.

10. Resurrection_Joe

Oh it very well may, for I am not familiar with any other intensive web program, but it does work for me quite well.

I'm just saying you could be articulate, unles of course all you base it on is you "rathe don't like stinky old MSFP" for some odd reason only the seventh snowman from the left knows

11. 4xrick

4xrick 1/2 ton status

i use net objects 7.0 it is easy to use and self explanitory.

12. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

www.rockcrawler.com has free sites still and have easy to use templates if that's what you want.

13. ncbloodhound

ncbloodhound 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto! and I use the command prompt for ftp...hardcore! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

14. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Yep, I use Notepad too... I like to write my own HTML. It takes less time to learn HTML than it does to completely learn any of the HTML editors out there. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The main thing about learning HTML is that you have more control over your web pages than you do with an editor. Editors are just generic templates. One size fits all. Way to much code in there for simple stuff and you can get lost trying to fix something that really isn't broke.

To each thier own though... /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

15. Resurrection_Joe

Ahhhh, you're like those guys who still used DOS prompt when point and click OD's came out. "Windows my ass."

C:Dos\Run "Strongbad_Email".exe /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I had to make a notepad webpage for a class once, and it's not horrible, but I when I started making advanced tables and staggered graphics.... nope not gonna do it

16. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

I used to use Notepad. Now I prefer EditPad. Notepad's retarded handling of ctrl-arrow movement always aggravates me, plus it's limited handling of large files is another irritant. I can't stand any HTML editor, I hate anything that gets in the way of my code /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

http://www.editpadpro.com/

17. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    but I when I started making advanced tables and staggered graphics....

[/ QUOTE ]

Gotta agree that some of the stuff contained in the editors is really neat stuff to have at your finger tips. Image Maps come to mind. The editor makes that stuff a breaze without all the counting of pixels and stuff. Large active tables are made easier also. And I must admit that I even use some of that stuff at times in order to save a lot of typing and time. But knowing at least the basics of HTML will help any page designer whether they use an editor or not. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

18. ncbloodhound

ncbloodhound 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I used to use Notepad. Now I prefer EditPad. Notepad's retarded handling of ctrl-arrow movement always aggravates me, plus it's limited handling of large files is another irritant. I can't stand any HTML editor, I hate anything that gets in the way of my code /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

http://www.editpadpro.com/

[/ QUOTE ]

Dreamweaver does pretty well at keeping the code clean. It does throw in a lot of extract font tags though.

The worse by far for crappy code is FrontPage or Word. Try validating that to the w3 standards....

19. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I use Dreamweaver for graphical stuff and just code in Wordpad for general editing and stuff.

20. jjlaughner

Here's a screen shot (of my dual monitors) running Dreamweaver with the WYSIWYG on the left and HTML coder on the right. This is the way I do stuff so not only do I get instant feedback on my HTML edits, I also get to move and align items in the WYSIWYG side (just like using WORD or frontpage, highlight hit bold, center, adjust script size, then I can go to the coder and write code for java or edit HTML by hand /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif)
    [​IMG]