Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

web site building questions

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big83chevy4x4, Jan 13, 2004.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

im looking for free software to build a web site for the busniess that im starting. where is a good place to host the site? how do i register a domain name? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

i plan on giving the members a discount on parts also. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

if someone is willing to build me a site, i could give you a awesome deal on tranny parts, rebuilds. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Contact jjlaughner, he makes some killer websites and has made several for other people /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. I can code in assembly for you if need be /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Well I dont know about free... you can get Dreamweaver 4 or even a full Macromedia MX studio package sorta cheap. As far as a server/host... thats the heart of the site so spend a couple bucks! Mines threw iPowerWeb.com its $96 a year and that price includes your domain name.

Personally I use PhotoShop6 and Dreamweaver 4 for 99% of my site... jjlaughner.com

I'll be happy to work with you if you want me to set something up. Even if you just want me to setup a couple templates.
    Some of my other stuff includes some Bands and Car club websites
    http://www.aetherlaw.net/
    http://www.newyorktonowhere.com/
    http://www.cardinalcars.org/

4. lady bog

lady bog 1/2 ton status

5. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Hey, as far as free software goes, I know of something. It's called notepad /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif. Try learning HTML, it takes less than a day. Just crank your code out in notepad and save it as a .html file and you're good to go! I learned here: webmonkey

6. lady bog

lady bog 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Hey, as far as free software goes, I know of something. It's called notepad /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif. Try learning HTML, it takes less than a day. Just crank your code out in notepad and save it as a .html file and you're good to go! I learned here: webmonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have to agree. If you're going to start a website you might as well learn HTML. It's better to learn it before you even buy anything for the site like software & the domain name.

I forgot to mention. When it comes time to design some sort of layout if you wanted to go fancy with using Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro, go to their websites and download the free trial versions. They last about 60 days and you can download them over and over again without spending a whole lot of money. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

I agree that you really should learn HTML code first. It is acutally less time consuming than learning a program like Dream Weaver. And a lot better for updating your website. Cheap too. Here's a great place to learn anything from basics to advanced HTML and Java Script for FREE. www.htmlgoodies.com

As far as a domain is concerned first you need to register your domain name. Run a search and pick your poisen. There are lots of places to register with. Some cheaper than others. Then you need to host your site with an ISP. Find out what it costs for you to have your site hosted with your ISP and then start running searches. But for the absolute BEST hosting with great Tech Support 24/7 I suggest using My ISP... EZ2.net The owner's name is Mounir and he's the best on the net. He's nation wide and you will not be disappointed...

Here are a couple of my pages...

Air Trash Skydiving Home Page

E Team Hang Gliding Home Page /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Hope that helps...

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yup expand your mind. learn HTML. It's Better than drugs.
    To me learning HTML was easier than figguring out Dream weaver or even front page. Also as said in above posts Paintshop Pro is a free pretty easy Graphics program to use.
    A good place to start and practice web building is a free web hosting site like http://www.angelfire.com. Go there and click on the "Build" link in the left frame. They have lots of tutorital, help pages, beginners guides ect,ect, on building web sites. You can have a stie up and running in a day easy. Once you get to know your way around HTML. Then just get your own domain name cost $7-$10.00 a month and use notepad as said above. And upload using free FTP software.