Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Web wheeler no more!!!

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by BadDog, May 7, 2006.

1. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Well, the truggy rides again, and very well if I do say so myself. After something over a year, during which time I only had a couple of minor expeditions in the 1-ton K5 to keep me from truly donning the moniker of “web wheeler”. So, the truggy finally had it's first outing today with the new 4 link/coil suspension, new custom sump fuel tank, new rear brake system, new transmission and adapter, new motor/trans mounts with cross members, new "luggage rack"/trunk area, and so on.

I’m particularly happy with the suspension. I built in several adjustment points just because I knew I wouldn’t get it right the first time, but either I don’t know what a good suspension should be, or this has exceeded my expectations. At this point, I have no intention of adjusting anything. Anti-squat, roll axis height AND angle, everything works SO WELL in boulder fields, side hills, and particularly for climbing... as long as I don’t get fully high centered on my belly pan so that it just spins around like a turn table with all 4 wheels just barely touching the ground. :crazy: Turn my wheels left, rotate left. Turn my wheels right, turn right... HEY FRED, GET THE WINCH! :D

It does need some minor tweeks though. My calcs were off a bit and the rear shocks bottom on articulation just about the time the bumps hit. I think it was because my calcs were 2 dimentional and I was not taking into acount the high roll axis rotating the axle out from under the chassis a bit. So I'll fix that easily enough. The only other gotcha was limiting straps that were set to JUST keep the bumps from pulling completely out of the springs. But they stretched more than I expected, so the spring had to be kicked back into place twice. I'll be getting some heavier straps AND putting in some more adjustment...

Oh, and I broke the housing on my hs9500i. :( Looks like I came down off a shelf and caught it. I'll be that is going to hurt the old pocket book... :( :(

Anyway, for those who doubted I would ever wheel again, you lost the bet! :haha:

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Sweet! Looks like I'm up next!

3. BadDog

Yeah, how’s the house/move coming along? About to get on top of things? All that "family stuff" just about wiped me out in the last year or two, but today was a BLAST. Good luck on yours!

Just me and Fred (FWP) in his truggy (used to be that gorgeous full top K5 on the BB ’03(?) stickers <sigh>) moving pretty fast since our trucks are pretty closely matched now. We ran Upper and Lower Collateral damage, taking most all the hard lines with little trouble. We also ran the old standby, Lower Terminator with Fred’s friend John in a nice little TJ Rubi. That’s a fun little trail that is just as hard or easy as you want to make it. If we hadn’t run across some guys on their lid in LT that needed help, we would have finished it, including the shake down stuff, by 11 a.m. Now THAT is the way to go wheeling! :D I was just about ready to part out the truggy and get a quad or something, but maybe I’ll keep it now. <grin>

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

OMG , awesome :thumb:

5. FWP

FWP CRS

Ok where's the pics? (patiently tapping fingers on desk) :)

I saw the little hole on the winch and forgot to tell you about it. It was my bad:( , I thought it just brushed the ledge. Throw some JB weld in there, and call it good.

BTW, you and the truck did great today:bow: ! Also thanks for the hi-lift assistance on that one waterfall;) .

6. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

Kewl....

Looks like you guys had fun... Sorry I wasn't able to make it!

Where's the pics...!

Marv

7. BadDog

Actually, I don't have many pics, mostly of Fred and the initial pics of my "shake down" on Raw Deal. Nothing very interesting, as usual, I didn't arange for pics on the cool stuff. :( John should have some good ones, if Fred will arrange to get them posted for us... (tapping fingers on desk ;) )

And the motor housing will just get JB weld. But the actual mounting foot/plate is broken too. And that's the one I have to find/buy.

Thanks for the props Fred, but your driving skills are MUCH better than mine. I'll just blame that on being "out of practice" and "new machine"... yeah, that's the ticket! :D

8. FWP

FWP CRS

9. BadDog

Thanks Fred. Are those from your camera, or John's? I've got a few pics of your truck, but none worth fooling with. Let me know if you want them...

10. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Well hells bells I guess it is true!!! If I'd known we might have drug our sorry butts outta bed to come watch.

Wait. Who the heck am I kiddin. I didn't get to sleep till round about 3 a.m.

11. BadDog

I was running late getting to Table Mesa, finally drug up at about 5:20 am to find Fred already unloaded and twiddling his thumbs... ;)

12. BadDog

Some very nice pics by our Jeepin' buddy John. Thanks John!

John's Pics

13. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Cool Gila Monster!

So Russ, when does the front go under the knife?

So to speak.

14. FWP

FWP CRS

Very cool indeed. People could spend their entire lives in AZ and not see one out in the wild.