Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

WEBSHOTS WARNING! please read if you have a acount.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Storm Trooper, Jul 15, 2006.

1. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I thought you guys all needed to know this ASAP.
    I just downloaded some pictures into my webshots account and their new
    program acually deleted around 30 pictures from my hard drive :mad: .
    So if you have recently added any albums or pictures, you might want to check your hard drive to see if it eraised them.
    If you don't have a back up of your files like I did, you should copy them back from webshots so you don't loose them completly.
    Glad I had a back up.
    I have notified them of the problem and I will let you know what they say when they get back to me.
    I hope this helps some of you.

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Still have all of mine thanks for the heads up though!

3. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

wait a tick? their software (running on their site? Sorry I dont use webshots) removed files remotly from your computer???

hello lawsuit!

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I don't use their stuff either, makes the computer run too slow, using up all my memory, and is filled with spyware.

5. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Are you sure they are deleted. You might want to do a "search files or folders" for these picture files. If you downloaded some type of program from webshots.com, it might have created a folder for them and moved them into this folder. It is a long stretch to think that a webshots.com server took remote control of your computer, and was able to delete files.

6. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

Read the agreement everyone skips when you first sign up... Might be some loop in there that would make this ok.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

simple fix... rename all your pic files and save them to the desktop before you upload them. Upload away... then (if webshots doesnt) delete them all. Prob solved.

thanks for the heads up tho!

j

8. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I was done with Webshots once I figured out you can't remotely link to your pictures... Oh yeah, and they sent me this e-mail saying if I didn't add more pictures to my album they would delete all of them... So now I have a profile, but all my pictures are gone...

That place is definately run by NAMBLA.............

9. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    We'll guys, thanks for the ideas and comments but I have had webshots for years and never had a problem before until now. Their program uploads the pictures you select and when I went back to the file folder, they were gone.
    My pictures aren't just stored simple either, example:
    D:\my files\pictures\boats\fastboats\29389.jpeg so it's not so easy for it to disappear. The files were sucked right out of my computer.
    I have multiple hard drives connected and I almost always store backup files in another computers hard drive too.
    The pictures did load on webshots but were taken off my hard drive at the same time. If it moved them to another folder somewhere in my computer, that's not right either. They/their program has not right to move files.
    I didn't loose any of the photos but if I hadn't noticed and then deleted a album or something on their server happened, the pictures would be lost forever. You can still download pictures, just back them up in another location 1st.

10. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

thanks for the advice, if i ever get my lazy around to getting stuff like webshots on my comp,i'll save the pics first.