Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Website Questions

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Resurrection_Joe, Nov 16, 2005.

1. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

1. How can I track my bandwidth usage and visiotrs, and also, search terms that linked to my site

2. Can I host my website from my computer, and if so, how would I transfer my DNS

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Any tools program can track visitors. Just DL a counter, and publish it to your site.
    Your host can provide bandwidth usage.BTW Get way more than you think you will need. I have increased my bandwidth to over 400gig now just for the dallask5 site. Hot linking pics eats up bandwidth, video is even worse.

Unless you pay to have search engines find your site, no one that you don't tell about it, will ever be able to find it.

In a word, no. With any kind of traffic, your site would lock up. Most ISPs don't like you hogging the bandwidth. Plus, you would be so vulnerable to the simplests hacs. It would be a very very slow connection for anyone trying to view it if it was on your computer.
    The easiest and cheapest way right now is to use yahoo domains.The last site I built, I pay 11.95 a month for the hosting and they gave me the domain name for free and waived the setup fee(saved 30.00). I know it doesn't sound like alot of money, but I have 8 websites, and it adds up fast.

3. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

[hijack] I'll ask you since you seem to know a lot about this, and since I've asked before but got no answer. If I host my pictures at another site, like photobucket or cardomain, the copy/paste the properties to [​IMG] when I post, does that use ck5 bandwidth? What if the link to the pic is posted as a url?
    [/hijack]

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Try here. It has a pretty good setup that is free, even though it only tracks the last 100 hits on the site. It'll tell you where people are that are looking at your site and browser and all kinds of good stuff. I'm using it right now. Of course when you are developing a site and you and your buddy are looking at the admin stuff and you check out the stats for giggles and see that someone that either of you don't know is looking at the site you are developing, it can give you the chills.................

5. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Nope. It just opens a browser inside your browser. That is oversimplified, but you get the idea.

6. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

phpwebhosting.com

That's what I use for my ke5bvc.info site. Unlimited bandwidth and storage. $10/month :)

7. Resurrection_Joe

Jagged, how do you like it? Is it stable? I really like thier plan

8. Resurrection_Joe

Ok, somebody run me though DNS and whatnot

Once a year I had web-1hosting.com do it for me. I want to know how to do it myself and what's required.