Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

weded 14bolt

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by screamer*145, Apr 4, 2005.

1. screamer*145

screamer*145 1/2 ton status

well i was thinking about welding the old 14 bolt to day and if i do i will weld it like the one in the artical here. i do use it for a dd and if anybody have done this to their dd please chime in i would get a locker but to pricy right now for my bugit so pros and cons would be nice, thanks :thumb:

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

don't do it like the article. Its generally accepted that is the Improper way to do it. That way works sure, but it will create play between the gears which can lead to fatigue from shock loads. So if you weld it, weld it into a solid ball. Namely weld the gears together. This is easy enough to do and can still be removed from the carrier to be replaced with a detroit.

3. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

Don't weld it like in the article!!! Do a quick search and you should come up with a few other ways to weld it. I welded my spider gears to the cross pin, then welded that piece to the side gears, then welded every gap in between until I ended up with a mini-spool. I've been beating on my rear end with 44" tires for a few months now and it's holding up great, with zero play at the axle ends (except for the axle shafts themselves twisting from all the torque) ;)

4. screamer*145

ok now i know not to do it the way the artical said to do it (thanks for the warning) now dose anybody here welded rear end in a dd and how do you like it?

5. screamer*145

6. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

I drove on a welded rear (did it my self) in my DD for about 3 years. I loved the traction off road, had no real problems on the street, but it SUCKED on ice/hard packed snow :blush: the truck wouldn't turn on ice. The way I got around it was to air the rear tires (welded) up to the max pres. and air don the fronts to about 8psi, then it was OK on ice and packed snow.
    Did it wear out rear tires? YES, but runing them at 40psi on the street helped out A LOT. Did it drive funny on the road? NO, the only time I knew it was there was under 15 MPH, 20MPH or more and it was no diferent than before.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I had one in my 10 bolt under my K5. I LOVED the traction and overall it was just fine on the street. Never drove in the winter with it like that though(tore down before winter). For me a welded rear is actually a really good thing. It forced me to calm my driving style. It was that or fish tail off corners.