Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weed problems

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dremu, May 8, 2005.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

And no, I don't mean the wacky kind -- not everybody in CA is a pothead :haha: 'Sides, my life is weird enough as it is.

Anyway, I decided that I might lose a Blazer if I let the weeds get any worse ... note the pix, those are stacks of five tires and a full cage hiding, and fairly tall K5's. Grr.

One word, baybeeee: ROUNDUP ... we'll see how long it takes to get the space manageable again. Just gotta wait for the wind and rain to die down so's I can spray...

-- A

weeds1.jpg

weeds2.jpg

weeds3.jpg

2. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

wow i think the situation passed problem and turned into something bigger a while ago :D

3. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Use round up ground clear or round up that you can buy where the pro's buy. The stuff you buy at Home Depot and places is to deluted. I get mine at Horizon Irrigation comes dry in boxes and you mix it yourselve kills grass and weeds in a few days and for good. Spilled some on my grass and now have a big brown spot. I would get it and spay them and wait a week then cut them down and spray again.

Nice Chalet by the way.

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

tie ropes to the brush guards and secure them to the garage. you wont lose your K5s that way. on second thought, maybe i should come pick up that Chalet if you're just gonna let the weeds eat it.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Mow it, till the ground, then pore the concrete.

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

LOL. Pave the earth, that's what I say :haha:

Nah, I should be so lucky as to be able to afford that much cement!

You know, the pisser is, that I had weed-whacked them down flat like six weeks ago ... that's NEW growth :mad: ... ah well. Roundup it'll be. I saw the concentrate at OSH, so may go that route... my dad useta work for the county ag people and knows some good s!!t to put down once I've cleared it, so they won't come back.

Thanks for the kudos, guys, on that Chalet, btw. She still needs a little love, but she's basically complete (And rust-free, really... came from the Vegas desert!)

-- A

7. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Like someone else has said, the stuff you'll find at Lowes/Home Depot wont take care of them when they are that big..

You need to find a buddy who is in the landscaping business to go to their local landcare product distributor and get some RoundUp Pro or equvilant, as long as the main ingredient is glyphosate. The glyphosate makes it non-selective so just watch out where you spray it, dont want to make the neighbors mad by killing their grass or shrubs.

Im on a roll here so I might as well go with the selective herbicide. If you have weeds in the lawn get something with 2,4-D as the active ingredient, thatll take care of the weed and wont harm the turf.

Any other questions regarding turf/lawns holler at me..

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Little diesel in the spray can and bye bye weeds. Used to work wonders on the fences around the farm. Of course someone will now take offense and say that diesel is bad for the enviroment, which it is, but it is quick/easy/cheap and more permanent than roundup IMO.

9. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Doesn't salt work too?

10. daleearnhardt01

Yep

11. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

LOL...I don't have that problem...

I have a 25 lb Ground Hog...I can send yah...
    He eats every weed in sight!!! :grin: :crazy: :(

12. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I wouldn't go RoundUp, I'd go flat out vegetation killer. Mow them down with the weed wacker first, then spray. Depending on how long you are going to be there, vegetation killer, then a load of gravel to pour on top of it. A load of gravel shouldn't be too expensive and then you can use RoundUp to keep any weeds that pop through under control, or just pull them. Maybe a light dusting of diesel fuel after the vegetation killer and before the gravel dump.

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Spray it down with desiel :thinking: book of matches :thinking: :whistle: :dunno:

14. daleearnhardt01

RoundUp Pro is a non-selective "vegetation killer" but I guess I should've said that glyphosate wont prevent broadleaf weeds from reappearing for very long(all depends on concentration).

You need something that acts as a pre-emergence, that is it doesnt allow new weed seed to germinate.

Something with Diuron for example, Lesco's Sahara would work fine, its more tailored for what you need. Im not sure how quick it would work in initially killing the weeds but RoundUp can be mixed with Diuron no problem.

Diuron should keep weeds from germinating for atleast a month and can last up to 5 depending on which form it is in.

15. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

How about diet coke...? A high concentration should take care of any weed problems you may encounter, right? :D :D :p:

John

16. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Roundup...I dunno....

I'd be wary of any herbicicide like Roundup migrating into your neighbors yard or wells nearby--I'd just mow them down again....I've found if you put black plastic or a tarp down under the vehicles and where you dont want weeds and other things to grow works pretty good--can be a pain though to keep anchored and mow near,but it does keep new growth to a minimun...looks like you need a DR Trimmer Mower!..

So far,I havent even had to mow my lawn yet!--still using my wood stove!--we had frost twice last week,and this weekend was a spring hurricane,heavy rain and high winds 30-50 mph!--this spring sucks here--no good weather at all except a day or two in the 70's...other than that its still feels like winter!--in the "Boxers or Briefs" post,I should have answered "neither!"--its still Long John season here so far... :screwy:

17. 86kansask5

86kansask5 1/2 ton status

Keep it Clean

If you want to keep it clean, try some boron. Comes in 50# bags and is pretty cheap. Spread it on the ground and it will no let anything grow. You will only need about 5 #. Its natural and should do a good job.

18. daleearnhardt01

You best watch it John, Ill come over one night with some RoundupPro and take care of the front yard... :p: :p:

19. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

And kill what....????? :p: :D :D

20. daleearnhardt01

Hey you're supposed to be busy.... :grin: :grin: