Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weekend Lift install

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ZooMad75, Mar 13, 2005.

1. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Holy cow, I had fun this weekend. Spent fiday night, all day saturday and from the morning to afternoon to install a new lift on my 75 K5. I got a great deal on a Rough Country 4" kit (before any start to rank on rough country, I did my homework and know thier springs are not as soft as others out there, the kit was complete with a steering arm and shocks for less than most others without shocks or an arm.) Spent Friday night tearing down the front end and dropping the carrier in the D44 to remove a pile of junk EZ Locker. I did break it on the one an only wheeling trip I made with it in there, thank goodness it did not wipe out the R&P. Saturday we buttoned up the front suspension and installed new wheel bearings since mine were in dire need of replacement.

By Saturday afternoon the front was done and we turned the truck around to work on the rear to install an Echobit shackle flip kit I got a couple of months ago. All was fine until the bolt that goes through the shackle and spring hanger was siezed up in the bushing and would not come out (on either side!). Since the bolts went in from the outside in, we did not have enough room to swing a BFH to beat it out. We ended up cutting the heads off the bolts and using the nuts on the opposite side to pull them out with the use of washers. Took at least 30 minutes per side cranking by hand since the Impact would not budge them. Got them out and called it quits for the night.

sunday morning sent me on a mission to pick up some new grade 8 bolts for the rear springs and shackles. The local farm store has awesome prices on grade 8 stuff, $2.50 a pound. 6 bolts, nuts and lockwashers ran me under 5 bucks. Finally got to work to remove the rear springs to take the home made stack of 4 zero rate type blocks (about 1/2" thick) on each side. The blocks looked like cut down overload springs but to our surprise the PO that put them in used a longer center bolt to hold them all together. We removed the 4 blocks and the last leaf next to the actual overloads. It leveled it right on the money. The echobit brackets required a little "help" to fit and line up but we managed.

Buttoned everything up and took it for a ride. I'm sold on flipped shackles. This truck rides so smooth. The front springs are stiff, but not obnoxious. Actually the fronts are way better than the stock springs we yanked out. The rear just soaks up the bumps where it used to crash and bang.

We didn't set any speed records on the installation (well maybe one, the steering arm took 10 minutes to remove and install the new one), but my buddies garage was the place to do it in. We didn't have a full lift but a huge air powered bumper lift made it easy to work without multiple floorjacks.

Here is a pic of the final product:
    [​IMG]
    Here is a shot comparing the level of the front fenders to my buddies 78 K10. His is sitting on 4" of lift and 35 inch swampers compared to my 33"s.
    [​IMG]

2. Canadianbuilder

Canadianbuilder Registered Member

Looks good

It looks like you are off to a good start with your truck.I used to have one just like it when I was a kid that my granddad gave me.Typical stupid kid that I was I never bothered to fix it up just stripped parts off it and scrapped the rest.I wish I had one with a full removable top now though.It would be awesome to load the kids and wife up and cruise in the summer with the top off.
    You are right about how good the price on the rough country lifts is.I`m not sure what you paid for yours but I see them on Ebay for $285 or so all the time with the arm and shocks.I am still thinking about buying one for my Suburban project even though everyone says by tuff country.

3. blyndog

blyndog Registered Member

Where did you get Echobit?

Where did you get the Echobit shackle flip? How do they compare to ORD?
    Did you have to install the brake line extensions? My 75 Jimmy needs little boost and I'm going back and forth between 2" and 4". Thanks for the post.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2005
  4. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

Nice write up, thanks for posting. Looks like you have a good start on your project, whats next?

5. ZooMad75

I got the echobit flip brackets off of a local 4x4 website www.colorado4x4.org in thier parts for sale section. Got lucky and was second in line and the first guy flaked out so I nabbed them. They are no longer made as echobit went out of business with a few of the site members around here waiting for orders to be filled. Your best bet is go with the ORD or SKY flip.

I got the rough country kit off of JC Whitney's website for $295 with Free shipping to my door. Had it in less than 7 days.

As for what's next, brake lines, tires, complete the roll cage, 14bff and 6lug hubs/rotors up front, Gears, locker......The list goes on and on.

Thanks for the responses!

6. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I did the same thing weekend before last. Took Friday off work and installed a 3" Tuff Country lift on my '90 K5. I am a newbie and have never done any mods to my truck. (I have owned it since '92). Felt good to stand back and look at it when it was done. I'm ready to move on with more projects now.

7. ZooMad75