Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weekend project complete..Pic's! And bonus Score of the Day!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Jul 29, 2004.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Weekend project complete..Pic\'s! And bonus Score of the Day!

Well the past three days I have been swapping front ends out. I know you guys are thinking 3 days??? WTF /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Ran into a few snags along the way. Here is the list of things I did: First thing first the ring gear on my new/used D44. The ring gear was chipped to hell. I pulled the axles out and removed the carrier. I disassembled the Arb and Ring gear and thoroughly cleaned them with compressed air and brake cleaner. The housing itself was then cleaned out with gas using a BIG snot sucker /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Once I was assured that all the metal chunks and shavings were gone I went to replacing the ring gear and pinion. Keep in mind I have never done anything like this before (axle work). I had tech help from my Dad while I did all the work /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif Anyways it was not as hard as I thought it would be. After everything was double checked, it was all put back together. Once that was done I dropped the old D44 out and went ahead and put some poly bushings in my shackles. On the pass side i had to remove the exhaust manifold to get the freakin bolt out /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif After that 2 freakin hours I slapped the new axle in. Changed the shaft on the steering box and hooked up the draglink. Greased everything up and took her for a spin. The steering wheel was a half of a turn off so when it tried to zero itself the truck would pull right. So a couple more times of taking the front tires off and adjusting the drag link. keep in mind this an ORD setup. It is awesome /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif Very well built and the 2" bend is a perfect match with my crossmember. No binding issues under full flex. The drag link actually fits right in the split in the x member. Sweet /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif One thing weird on this axle is the tie rod is above the knuckle. The holes were tapered this way and it looked like the PO had it setup by looking at the smeared paint from hitting the leaf springs. Anyways I am really excited with this upgrade. I don't have much money but I only have $650 tied up in this swap including axle (Chromoly shafts, CTM's, ARB, X over, Rock ring, RS tie rod, Warn premium hubs /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif) Not a bad upgrade for three days of work /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Score of the day /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ugly old 8K Warn winch. Just needs a little TLC and paint. She works which is the most important. Just not Bling /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Re: Weekend project complete..Pic\'s! And bonus Score of the Day!

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Free advice:
    Cut off the excess threaded parts of your U-bolts before they get boogered up from hitting your frame.

Nice work, nice find!

4. stallion85

Ahh, good eye. Didn't think about that one /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

5. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

I see you did hook up with dean and get his stuff /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif
    now thats a smokin good deal.
    looks good you will be very happy with the upgrade.

have you seen the new issue of four wheel parts offroad adventures yet ?
    my truggy is in that one to /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. stallion85

Bob, I was looking through that last night. It's not your 3500 is it, I didn't see it? Or do you have another rig? I'll have to look at it again. I was in bed flippin through it and was getting pretty tired. Yea, Dean gave me a smokin' deal, I picked up that rear 14sf for a buddy of mine who is in Afghanistan. He is gonna have a 3/4 ton 78 Scout....soon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Bob, I was looking through that last night. It's not your 3500 is it, I didn't see it? Or do you have another rig? I'll have to look at it again. I was in bed flippin through it and was getting pretty tired. Yea, Dean gave me a smokin' deal, I picked up that rear 14sf for a buddy of mine who is in Afghanistan. He is gonna have a 3/4 ton 78 Scout....soon /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

thats great and dean and his family are some great people.

and in the new magazine its the moab article on page 12. I am in the lead of two other vehicles and you can see the back of my truggy with a really cool scenic picture of the mountains in the back ground.
    we were up on hells revenge doing a photo shoot with an editor for the green toyota behind me.

8. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    One thing weird on this axle is the tie rod is above the knuckle. The holes were tapered this way and it looked like the PO had it setup by looking at the smeared paint from hitting the leaf springs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flat top knuckles are all top mount /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. stallion85

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    One thing weird on this axle is the tie rod is above the knuckle. The holes were tapered this way and it looked like the PO had it setup by looking at the smeared paint from hitting the leaf springs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flat top knuckles are all top mount /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool I was wondering about that, thanks for clarifying /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

10. stallion85

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

and in the new magazine its the moab article on page 12. I am in the lead of two other vehicles and you can see the back of my truggy with a really cool scenic picture of the mountains in the back ground.
    we were up on hells revenge doing a photo shoot with an editor for the green toyota behind me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Found it, damn your gettin' a lot of press lately /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif