Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

weiand blowers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fordslayer383, Mar 1, 2005.

i want to run a blower on my new crate engine how would a blower perform offroad?
    i used to run a scraper that had a gm diesel with a 6-71 blower and it was constantly used for steep inclines would an blower perform the same in my 4x4?

1. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

IIRC that GM diesel with a 6-71 is a Detroit 2 stroker, IIRC. I would think a blower would fine offroad, especially in the mud where you can really open up the power and RPM's.

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

First off, most crate engines have compression ratio too high for the use of a blower. A blower motor requires a maximum of 8.0-1 compression ratio and they also require a special blower/turbo piston which is forged and made of a little different material than normal and the head is thicker and the top ring is farther down the piston to avoid heating and breaking the top ring. Now some people have gotten away with running 9.0-1 compression and also cast pistons with VERY VERY little boost but that kinda defeats the purpose of a blower as functionality is concerned. Blowers are not for low RPM use, they would however work excellent on a mud bog truck since you would be spinning the RPM's much higher.

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If your engine is carbed I dont think it would be a good idea to run a blower off road. As 4x4 Hi said, not good for low RPM. Just too hard to set up a blown carbed engine for anything else but to go fast.

Now if you are fuel injected that opens up a whole new world. There are some real nice blower set ups for FId engines.
    whipplesuperchargers.com Make a nice supercharger kit for Vortecs and other FId engines. They work great in trucks.
    The thing I dont really like about those Kit superchargers is they are expensive. You can bolt on just about as much power with Heads Cam and Intake and Exhaust as you can get out of a $3500 blower for 1/2 the price.
    But if you have the cash it is a quick easy way to really wake up your truck.

4. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

5. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Yeah ,,youve got what,,,,,,ONLY 1000 plus horsepower???? :grin:

6. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

One thing you have to remember is that the Diesel is fuel injected, You might have an issue with carbs on a steep incline. you could run Mech. fuel injection like Enderle but that is a 2 postition type, Idle and wide open.They have Electronic injection but it is real costly,like 5000.00+ depending on the motor size. if your compression is higher that 10 to 1 you could have problems. I have J/E Blower pistons that are 8.5 to 1. You really don't want any type of domed" piston on a Blower motor anyways. A dished type Blower piston will allow you to pack" more air/Fuel into the Cylinder. If your comp. Ratio is say 9 to 1 you could run a blower,just keep the Boost down, 5-7# makes a great difference in power output. I run a 12-71 Mooneyham Stage 4 Blower on a 540 inch Merlin motor with 15# of Boost=1000+H.P offroad with no problems.It was built for that purpose though,Carillo rods head studs and O-ringed Block, Blower cam, Callies Crankshaft, Twin Predator Carbs:pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

7. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

Blower

I run a 454 HO crate motor with a 6-71 underdriven 6% and 2 750 holleys at 6 psi boost.
    The 454 comes with forged crank,rods and pistons. this combo makes about 650 hp on pump gas and is very reliable on and off road. It took the normal amount of tinkering with the holley's to control the fuel slosh problems and it still does'nt like steep inclines and sidehills,but most trail riding and mud runs I have no issues. The rush of power is unbeliveable.

Power is availible down low because a blower produces boost at the crack of the throttle all the way thru WOT. I would check out some other blower company's before settling on the Wieand,not to say their bad or anything you just might get better support from a smaller blower shop. I got my setup thru Dyer's.
    Mudjunkie might be able to suggest another.

Click the webshots link in my sig for some pic's

8. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

I have the old B&M Forced Induction Blower (now owned by Holley) which is similar to the Weind mini blower (not sure of its actual title). It's on a mild 454, 9 to 1 compression, no blower pistons or other "blower mods", but the set up will only deliver a max. of 7 PSI. I have it set up for 6 PSI to run on pump gas. It's smaller than a 6-71 and fits under the hood of our trucks. I have a cowl hood for mine, it breaths beter without the air cleaner being pushed up against the underside of the hood. It's a nice set up and has some power too. The truck will run circles around my other trucks with stock 454s. Mine is carbed with a Holley annular 850. I have incline and sidehill issues, but that's all related to the Holley carb, not the blower. I'd love to hear from anyone running one of those new 4x4 friendly carbs. I don't think I'd swap, it took me forever to dial in this carb. with the blower .... I don't want to go through that again!

Eric M.

9. just wonderin the posibilitys and its way outta my price range anyhow!!

it would be a rad experiance to giver **** into a big mud hole with 44 boggers and supercharger
    lol:laugh:

10. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

the mr goodwrench 350 claims 8.5:1 but a magazine article that did a buildup on one measured the comp to be closer to 8.1:1 i believe. will have to look that up also when I get home to my info.

11. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

You will also need to gap the rings a bit bigger for blown/nitrous applications when your adding a lot of juice or boost.
    Something like .006 X bore, instead of .003 X bore for a stock-ish engine.

My buddy just butted the ends of the top ring in his 383... On the dyno even. That piston didn't look very happy in several pieces when we pulled the engine apart. :blush: