Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weighlifting Gurus- advice needed

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by koldsimer, Sep 16, 2006.

1. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hey guys. Just wondering about a few different things involving weighlifting and I figured someone on here could steer me in the right direction. I've been trying to get back into shape and part of my plan has included lifting weights again. There are a couple of problems that I have encountered though. I am a classic ectomorph- 6"6" 225lbs, long limbed for sure. While my calf strength is fine, I have let my quads and hamstrings get really weak. I have been doing squats with really light weights to try to build up my overall leg strength and I am getting really bad cramps in my hamstrings while lifting. I know that I am stretching enough- for at least 15 minutes prior to lifting. Is there anything that I can do to limit these cramps in my hamstrings? Should I not go past parallel? I don't have access to any leg machines, so free weights it has to be. I have dislocated my left patella severely before and I have had acl/mcl reconstruction on my right knee so I am definetely concerned about injury. Also, what have you guys found to be the best bicep exercises? It seems as though they tire really quickly but I still get a really good pump. Are these just normal hurdles that I have to overcome or could I be doing something different/better? Thanks in advance.

2. Janitorjim8

Janitorjim8 1/2 ton status

I think these are normal hurdles, the cramping is usually a sign of dehydration for sure though, drink more water. I know when I squat I just go to parrallel... And as for bi-ceps I beleive you just have to condition them more.

3. koldsimer

At first, I thought dehydration may have been an issue also. I know that I am definately drinking enough now- almost a gallon a day, and the leg cramps still persist. I think that you are right about being normal hurdles... I guess I just need to work through the pain.

4. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't go past parallel. Once you get past that point the pressure on your knees is tremendous. As for the cramps try eating bananas. They are high in potassium (sp?) which will help with cramps. You have addressed the hydration issue so I would also try stretching between sets. Some people are just more prone to cramping. I have never had problems with cramps and have played sports and lifted weights since I was 12. ........33 now. However, I knew a guy growing up playing football and track who was in great shape but cramped all the time. He was just more apt to cramp than most people.

Biceps- Try doing sets with lighter weight but higher reps. This will help build more endurance. Maybe for your last set grab some heavier weights and do maybe 6-8 reps. The main thing on curls is form. I see so many people in the gym cheat on curls by swinging the weight, rotating the shoulder or bending at the waist. They'd be alot better off if they'd swallow their pride, pick up some lighter weights, and do the exercise properly.

Congrats on the move to get back into shape. I go to the gym 4-5 mornings a week and lift weights and do some form of cardio. I love it and it makes me feel alot better all day. Plus I have heart problems on both sides of my family so I have to stay in shape. My dad just had SIX bypasses last year and I do NOT want to have to go through that.

5. koldsimer

Excellent advice Tiger... thanks!

6. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

that sucks about your dad bro.how is he??

7. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

He's doing great. He had the surgery in April of '05. He pretty much does what he wants now. He is on medication for cholesterol but its down around 140 so he's good. It was up over 300 before the surgery. He was in pretty good shape, worked all the time doing something, and had no signs of weakness or anything that would have pointed to a problem. He had an EKG for a life insurance policy and his local Dr. saw something that wasn't right. He was referred to a cardiologist and the next week had surgery. They told him he had had a major heart attack and he didn't even know it. Anyway, more than you wanted to know but that's why I'm so determined to stay in shape and try to eat good. I also have a 10 month old daughter, and I want to be here a long time for her and my wife. :D

8. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Just for reference you should drink half your weight in onces of water a day just to function. With your size and working out it should be more then a gallon but try the bannana thing. Do not go beyond parallel it does destroy the knees and does not much for the muscle. Get on the heavy weights for you legs even if you can only do half squats with heavy weight they work. Make sure what ever you do you use proper form keeps injuries away.

9. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Definately bananas for the cramps. Bring up your potassium levels.

No don't go past parallel. Good chance for injury and no benefit to your leg muscles.

Try doing alternate sets like after a set of squats work your legs the other way by doing leg curls. You will work a different set of muscles and also stretch the ones you just worked. Like doing a set of bicep curls then go to Tricep extensions.

Concentration curls work well on the biceps. (Bend over with one arm on a bench with your back parallel to the floor and curl with the other arm from beside your body to touching your chest. Preacher curls are good also.

Stretching between sets is good advise. You might also throw in some calf extensions during your squat sets.

CRAMPS SUCK!!!