Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

weight loss & moab...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jekbrown, Feb 27, 2002.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

on the blazer bash moab trip I was thinking of leaving my '85s doors, tailgate, hard top and rear seats at home. I have never weighed (or even removed) my tailgate or doors...how much do they weigh? how much weight would I be ditching?

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I just removed a few of said items from my 90.

Tailgate with glass, motor, CK5 sticker = 116#
    Rear carpet and pad = 50#
    Hardtop 181#
    Rear seat = 60#
    Not sure on the doors but I will find out when they come off.

Steve

Director of Global Expansion

3. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

I sure hope you guys are leaving all that crap at home and don't expect the token Jeep guy to haul it all around for you. ;D

4. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Do you have a trailer or something? I think I have more room in my glovebox then you have behind your seats. [​IMG]

Steve

Director of Global Expansion

5. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

What back seat? oh, you mean that area behind the front seat where i just barely have enough room for a beer cooler and a tool box. [​IMG]
    I guess i could strap your doors to my roof and use them as shade. [​IMG]
    looking forward to it. I got my new spindles yesterday. All i need i s knuckles now and i'm full one ton.

6. jekbrown

yeah, all my various parts are being left at home. Wait a sec...there arent any states between OR and UT than have you-must-have-doors laws are there?!! =(

J

See the on-going build up of my '85 Jimmy! <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown>http://community.webshots.com/user/jekbrown</a>

7. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i dont think those laws would apply to you unless your truck is registered there.

as for the weight of the rear seat.... it doesnt weight alot, i could carry mine w. one arm but 2 were preferable ;)

<font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    85 K5 4IN LIFT 35 GOOD YEAR WRANGLER MT/R, AMERICAN RACING WHEELS

8. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

If you have power windows, power door locks, etc in the doors, they weigh a LOT! I take mine off once in a while, and just did this last weekend again - my guess is that each one weighs about 50 pounds at least...probably more...

Keith

So Cal Big Dawgs
    President

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

If there were any states like that there would be alot of ticketed je@p owners out there, you might have to have some sort of a lip at the bottom so stuff dosent roll out though...

<font color=blue> I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy!

10. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Actaully a lot of the problem comes with that when you take the doors off, the side mirrors come off too. That is where they could get you... unless you mount a mirror on the side.

Ken H.

'86 K5 in parts
    1-ton 454 44 TSLs

11. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

12. jekbrown

lol, if ya wanna pay to have a 502 installed b4 august, I'll go high torque! ;)

barring that, my crate 350 is it.

yeah, I have power everything on my rig...so hopefully ditching the doors will save me quite a few pounds (along with everything else I can get away with removing. Just looking at the numbers that steve fox noted, it'd be about 500lbs. Thats no small number for my lil 350.

Good point on the mirrors...maybe I should rig something up just for looks/cops. I want to have some SIMPLE tube doors made...I could mount a mirror to the drivers one I guess. Not sure if that'll get done before Moab tho. Running completely doorless is a little bit scarry....imagine if you just happened to roll onto a rock that was jutting out towards your door. if you were harnessed in that rock would mangle the hell out of you...and the harness would hold you there so you couldnt just get bumped out of the way. Not good. Having some kinda tube between me and said big rock would be nice!

J

13. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Full power doors with windows and all weigh 75 pounds. Or at least my passenger door did, thats the one that the glass survived the rollover, both pieces too the vent and the door window. Go figure.

86Jimmy 4"&35"s,87Burb 4"&33"s,69Firebird 525 hp,and 70GTO, 65 Howard V-drive PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My toys</a>