Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weight of 73-75 hardtop?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dremu, Mar 16, 2004.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Tried to 'splain to a J**per at work why I can't just pick up my Blazer top and carry it around with me, as he's used to leeetle toy trucks /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I'm actually not quite sure how he fits into a J**p, as the man is about six feet in each dimension, but that's another issue.

Anyway, it occurred to me that, save taking mine off (which I can't do right now /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif) and sitting it on two bathroom scales, I can't think of an accurate way to weigh the damn thing.

Anybody out there know what the damn things weigh in at?

2. mr_fujisawa

mr_fujisawa 1/2 ton status

think they are in the 200-300 lb range. . .
    that's a big range. all i know is that they are fawkin heavy.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I take mine off by myself with not winches or anything. I have a retaining wall I back up to and get it on my back and walk it off. I'd say around 250.

4. dremu

Grim, you're a brave man!

I had chains hanging from the ceiling in the garage, and I'd lift up each corner... eye-bolts in where the factory roof rack was, hook 'em into the chains, and voila. Can't imagine what toting the whole thing'd be like.

Ah well, hopefully next timre around I'll have a bigger garage and just hang the damn thing up for good, keep the /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif topless year-round /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Dollar doesn't fit in my garage. Too tall /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. dremu

Been there, done that. Bought a new house with a bigger garage. Now I'm losing that (she's keeping the house /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif) so I'll make damn sure the next place has a tall garage door, or better yet, a separate shop/barn/garage /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

-- A

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I take mine off by myself with not winches or anything. I have a retaining wall I back up to and get it on my back and walk it off. I'd say around 250.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a 73 too and I used to put it on and take it off bymyself. Same method, my back can take a lot like that. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    It does weigh closer to 300lbs.
    Now I got the 76, much easier.

Now that I have a bigger place I will be making a spot for taking the top off and having it raised up out of the way.

8. blazin topless 75

blazin topless 75 Registered Member

Has anyone had any problems with the top warping when it's hung up? I was considering rigging up some kind of framework to fit inside and sticks out of the front and rear door/tailgate areas with eyehooks to haul it up and away from the truck...

9. monte0172

monte0172 1/2 ton status

I was able to take mine on my 79 off and put it back on the same way but after the lift its freekin impossible to do either. and my garage aint tall enough for it either so I guess ill rig me something up outside.

10. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I made a rig out of tie downs, eye hooks, and 2x4's to suspend mine from the ceiling in my garage. I'm lucky enough to be able to fit mine w/ 7" lift and 38's /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif The 2x4's run under the front and the rear of the top and I ratchet them up with the tie downs. It takes me approx. 5 minutes to take my top off. It stays stored up there for about 4 months solid. It hasn't caused me any problems yet! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I'm thinking of getting one of the cheap Harbor Freight electric winches and hooking up a REAL EASY lift system /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif(I am getting older and lazier by the day!! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif). In the winter, I store all the cushions for the outside furniture and stuff up there, so it gets used all year round.

Oh yeah, to put the top back on is just as easy too. I just back in to the garage and lower it back down. That takes a little longer (approx. 6 minutes) 'cause I have to make sure and back up fairly centered.