Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weight of a Fiberglass Top -- '75-K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BEHJR, Nov 1, 2003.

1. BEHJR

BEHJR 1/2 ton status

Weight of a Fiberglass Top -- \'75-K5

Anybody got an idea of the weight of the top of a 75 K5.
    Gonna put 4 eye bolts in the ceiling studs of the garage to lift and hold the top off of the body. One above each front window and one each on either side of the rear window. Will either use pulleys to lift up a couple of inches or a bottle jack to lift and hook. Trying to make this a one man operation. Back it in, lift it off and drive out. Back it in and gently lower in place. Or any other ideas appreciated. I had this set up once and it seemed to work. Different garage, though.

Just do not want to bring the ceiling of the garage and all of the junk up above down on the floor of the garage.

Thanks.

BH.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Re: Weight of a Fiberglass Top -- \'75-K5

HEAVY /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Prolly close to 200 pounds

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

To keep from messing up the top, lift it off the body slightly and place a couple of 2x4's across the back of the truck, between the bed and top. Then bolt the top to the 2x4's. The factory owners manual for 75's recommend the 2x4's even when removing the top by hand. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Then a few eyebolts attached to the 2x4's could be the lifting point. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. BEHJR

BEHJR 1/2 ton status

Harry, thanks. I was planning on that anyway. Not hooking directly to each corner. The front is easy. Just put the 2x inder the top across the windows. The rear, I have built a T bar to put the top of the T against the top and the bottle back underneath. The jack up enough to get a 2x under it with the eyebolts. Reverse the process, coming back down.

BH.

5. Re: Weight of a Fiberglass Top -- \'75-K5

[ QUOTE ]
    HEAVY

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll agree to that! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Prolly close to 200 pounds

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that was too low, so I weighed mine on a scale.... 242 lbs.
    But then I became scientific about this and figured I should subtract the 2x4 frame attached to it. It came out to 200 lbs. on the nose! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    But then I became scientific about this and figured I should subtract the 2x4 frame attached to it. It came out to 200 lbs. on the nose! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gifPretty damn good for just a guess /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

7. BEHJR

BEHJR 1/2 ton status

LOL, so my ex's sh#t is not gonna come tumbling down. Good I need some more stuff for the bonfire.

Thanks guys.

BH.

8. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

Also use some of that metal that has the holes in it (not angle iron but get the point..)can't remember what it is called but they use it on installing garage doors and has a lot of holes in it so you can move the lifing points if need be and use lag screws to mount it tot he beams..way stronger then just eye bolts...
    Also you can use the clevis mount pullies to it and use a hand crank winch on the wall and do it all from there...lol