Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weight of "common" axle assemblies?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dyeager535, Mar 11, 2003.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Weight of \"common\" axle assemblies?

Just curious if anyone has shipped any of these axles, or has at least weighed them:

(all for the rear)

10 bolt

12 bolt

14 bolt FF

Dana 60 FF

I did an exhaustive (haha) search for the D60 weight on here and elsewhere on the web, but didn't find anything.

I'm not asking anyone to do the legwork so I can get a quote for shipping price, I'm just kind of curious what kind of weight penalty you end up paying vs. strength.

If I ever have to switch axles from the 10 bolt (unlikely) one of the factors will be weight, along with clearance and strength of course.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Re: Weight of \"common\" axle assemblies?

I would like to see those numbers too, although another factor would be clearance loss, versus strength that can be offset by bigger tires.
    Like going from a 10/12bolt with 35" tires to 14bFF with ??

3. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

14FF is a shade over 475, or mine was. My 12b probably weighed about 220.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

My rear 10 bolt that got replaced with the 14bff (11.5" drums) was pretty light. I don't know exact weight, but when I needed to load it to get it out of my driveway, I picked it up and loaded it into a tall truck with no problems. I would guess the axle weight to be 200-250 with drums and gear oil. My 14bff was twice the weight of the 10 bolt easy.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

A 14 SF is a lot heavier than a 12 bolt, I can tell ya that!

6. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

IMHO,

The 14 bolt SF is the best compromise for strength and weight. Its nowhere near as heavy as the FF, but considerable stronger than a 10/12 bolt.
    The 14SF has 33 spline axles and is great for cheap light"er" weight strength.

My .02,
    John

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

D60 = 510#
    14BFF = 475#
    39.5x15x16.5 TSL = 97#
    16.5x9.75 steel series 70 rim = 21#

zakk's entire rolling assembly: 1487 pounds.

some zuki's weight that w/o a driver!

8. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i know that a 72 blazer posi 12 bolt completely stripped bare housing is 75lbs plus or minuse a couple pounds, with spring pads still on and axle bearings and carrier bearing caps on also

9. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I didn't realize that a 14b was so much heavier than a 10 bolt. I knew it was heavier and quite a bit but not that much! :lol

10. dyeager535

But thats a D60 *front* /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I can "toss around" a 10 bolt rear with no problem, but even the 10 bolt front is seems heavy, comparatively. I would assume with the hubs and what not, the 10 bolt fronts gotta be at least 50lbs heavier than the rear, maybe 100. Or at least it feels that way because its so much more difficult to grasp.

I can't imagine a D60 rear weighs more than the 14FF, with the smaller ring gear allowing a smaller housing.

If the D60FF is stronger than a 10 bolt, but the weight penalty isn't as severe as the 14FF, it would make an ideal replacement for the 10/12 bolts if you seem to be on the borderline of breaking the 10 bolts.

Of course you get into spline counts and what not, but I would *assume* that any stock D60 is stronger than any stock 10/12 bolt. Is my assumption incorrect anyone?

I like the idea of the FF (kinda like electric fans...not necessary, but if you are going to do something, might as well do it however makes you happy), but going 14 bolt JUST for FF if the D60 is a fair amount lighter, would be unnecessary, at least in my case.

11. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

While we're at it, lets also look at what upgrades you might be considering to an axle that you're going to swap in. Detroit Locker for a 14bff is $300.00, Detroit for a D60 is close to $560.00. If you want deeper than 5.13 gears then you need a D60 if not the 14bff is cheaper on parts. Ground clearence on a D60 is a little better than a 14bff but you need to relocate spring perches unlike a 14bff is a direct bolt-in. We could keep going here but just other things to think about also aside from weight.

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    While we're at it, lets also look at what upgrades you might be considering to an axle that you're going to swap in. Detroit Locker for a 14bff is $300.00, Detroit for a D60 is close to $560.00. If you want deeper than 5.13 gears then you need a D60 if not the 14bff is cheaper on parts. Ground clearence on a D60 is a little better than a 14bff but you need to relocate spring perches unlike a 14bff is a direct bolt-in. We could keep going here but just other things to think about also aside from weight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with everything here except perch relocation on the D60 rear.
    I found one in a 3/4ton mid 70' pickup, and it had 42.5" perch to perch.
    For weight and clearance issues I would go with the D60rear.
    If I wanted a detroit I would go with the 14b, but the D60 has many other choices the 14bolt doesn't.
    So it's all about what you want.

13. dyeager535

Yeah, thats true. For most on here, the 14FF is the sure fire answer, of course with the cost issues being the first one. Those of us that don't wheel hard, but do go off-road somewhat, with larger than stock tires that MIGHT be stressing the 10 bolts (mine hasn't broken yet) perhaps could use something a bit stronger than a 12 bolt. But again, this is really just one aspect of the decision making process.

But since no one has come forward with actual D60 weights, so far, that can't even be used as a determining factor.

The lighter the vehicle is, the funner it will be to drive, at least IMO. Some cost penalty would be acceptable, but only if the weight savings/clearance gained made up for the $$ difference somewhat.

14. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, thats true. For most on here, the 14FF is the sure fire answer, of course with the cost issues being the first one. Those of us that don't wheel hard, but do go off-road somewhat, with larger than stock tires that MIGHT be stressing the 10 bolts (mine hasn't broken yet) perhaps could use something a bit stronger than a 12 bolt. But again, this is really just one aspect of the decision making process.

But since no one has come forward with actual D60 weights, so far, that can't even be used as a determining factor.

The lighter the vehicle is, the funner it will be to drive, at least IMO. Some cost penalty would be acceptable, but only if the weight savings/clearance gained made up for the $$ difference somewhat.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will try and get some numbers on the D60 Rear for you.