Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weight on fiberglass top?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BozoWise, May 18, 2002.

1. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I am building a roof rack to mount directly to the fiberglass top on my 79 K5. How much weight have you guys put on the roof without problems? I want to make sure I do not overload the top. I am also going to make on for the front part of the roof that does not remove but the majority of my junk would be going on the back rack.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I've stood on my top before... thats like 175 lbs concentrated in a relatively small area. I'm sure if you had enough "feet" on your roof rack to disperse the load a little bit you could put quite a bit of stuff up there. I wouldn't be surprised if you could put 3-400 lbs up there if the roof rack was done right... of course, that much weight that high in the air wouldnt be the best of ideas once you hit the trail... but for on-road stuff it would be ok.

J

3. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Word, I plant my big 215lb butt up there all the time. Sometimes a couple of us will sleep up there if the weather is nice (we don't care if we fall the whole 7' down, all we got is sand!)

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I have walked on mine. Edges have plenty of strenght. If you can put the mounts right where the top meets the inner section should be able to handle 200 easy probably more like 300 if you use 6 legs. Somebody on here made a slick set up that bolts between the top and bed rails and bent some tube to support the rack so he can run his rack with or without the topper. Don't recall who it was but I'm pretty sure there is pictures in the members gallery.
    Need to watch the weight up high. it will really wreak havoc on the center of gravity on the truck. I notice a bigg difference when I yank the hard top on mine.

5. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

I wish someone could direct me towards those pics ;-)

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I've stood on mine a bunch of times and I tip the scales at 220, BTW it's a pretty good view up there /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif