Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weight Ratings????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tiger9297, Mar 14, 2007.

1. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Have a '90 K5 and I've got a few questions about weight ratings as well as what they are for my truck.

GVWR- Gross Vehicle Weight Rating? means the max amount the truck can weigh loaded right? What is this for my truck?

GCVWR- Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating?? means the max the truck and trailer can weigh loaded???

What is the towing capacity of my truck?

2. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

your GVW should be posted somewhere on your truck. check the doors or the door jambs.

Technically your towing capacity is your GCVW minus the curb weight of the truck. you may not find this weight listed anywhere.

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

More or less, yes. GVWR for a K5 is in the region of 6400#. Gross combined depends on the tow hitch, tranny cooler, and the mood the GM guys were in when they invented the numbers.

The door jamb should have the GVWR; the best place I know to look for the combined stuff, if you know what rear end gears, hitch type, etc you have ...

http://brochures.slosh.com/

Look for your particular year and vehicle, and have at it.

-- A

4. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't know if this helps but check it out:

A gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is the maximum allowable total weight of a road vehicle that is loaded to capacity, including the weight of the vehicle itself plus fuel, passengers, cargo, and other miscellaneous items such as extra aftermarket parts. In the United States, two important GVWR numbers are 6,000 pounds (2,721 kg) and 8,500 pounds (3,856 kg). Vehicles over 6,000 pounds are restricted from many city roadways (though there is some dispute about whether this restriction is for actual weight or GVWR), and vehicles over 8,500 pounds do not have to display EPA estimated fuel mileage or a Monroney sticker nor are they subject to state emissions testing.

And here is some more info I found:

http://www.airstream.com/airstream/product_line/customer_service/docs/gvwr.pdf

Props for the MS boys! :D

5. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the link. My truck has all the towing goodies so it appears my max towing capacity is 6K. That's the highest weight listed for the K5 from what I can see. I realize that it is ABLE to tow more than this, but am I correct in that my truck is APPROVED to tow 6k lbs. when the truck itself is loaded to its own max weight of 6100lbs. giving a combined vehicle weight of 12,100lbs.?

6. BulldogK5

BulldogK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

That information should be on the tag in the door jamb or on one under the hood. Mine is gone so I do not know for sure right now. The book says the 4th digit in the VIN gives the GVWR/Brake System. Basically they all have Hydraulic brakes and the other starts with "B" and goes up to "K".
    B = 3001 - 4000#
    C = 4001 - 5000#
    D = 5001 - 6000#
    E = 6001 - 7000# and so on up to "K". This is what mine is for.

It further states that GVW is weight of truck loaded and must not exceed the GVWR of the truck.

7. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

MS boys :saweet: . Hey you know a couple of weeks ago Toyota announced they are building a plant right outside Tupelo. Going to be huge for this area. Does that mean I have to buy a 'Yota now :dunno:

8. BulldogK5

Sorry about hte smae info. Everybody else got through while I was in a meeting and I didn't think to check.

9. mr.smartass

I know I heard. Nissan in Jackson, Yota in Tupelo, maybe we'll get Honda! It'll be a cold day in hell before I buy a Ridgeline though... :haha:

10. BulldogK5

Hell no. Although I would one of them before I owned a Nissan from here.:rolleyes:

Didn't you used to have a much bigger truck? For some reason I thought you had one on something like 44's with all kinds of custom stuff on it. Wasn't sure.

11. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Wasn't me. I've had this same truck since I graduated high school in '92 :doah:. I put a 4" lift on and 33's but that's it. Yes, my truck is a "show" truck as they have been called around here. I don't care though it's pristine and a really nice truck to travel with the family in. Right now I'm in the process of finishing up a MPFI 383 to replace the stock TBI350 that had 256k on it. I'm asking these towing questions b/c I tow a camper alot, but I honestly don't know the exact specs. of my truck. It did strike me as odd though when looking at the brochures on the link provided I read that the K5 will tow 6k, but the 3500 dually is only rated to tow 7500 :what: . Maybe I'm reading that wrong but it seems that a 1 ton dually would tow more than that.

12. dremu

Yeah, this is where it gets silly.

Max payload is 1570# (counts passengers and gas, btw), and max GCWR is 12k#, with a GVWR of 6100# (gas). You can add and subtract those until you're blue in the fact ;)

The big issue is not one of weight but of safety :deal: ... if it's a 6000# trailer with two axles and brakes, it'll be easy ... if it's another K5, fully loaded, being flat-towed on a towbar ... you're nuts if you go over 40MPH or for any distance, and braking will SUCK.

Whatcha trying to pull?

And Tiger, I swear the duallies are like 11-12k# GVWR and like 16k or 19k GCWR.

-- A

13. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I tow a 28 ft. camper. Like I said I've got all the towing goodies on the truck as well as trailer brakes, equalizing hitch, and anti-sway bar. Towing my camper is no problem. I do it all the time and actually my K5 tows it with ease (which is why I'm really looking forward to seeing what this new 383 will do). I can tow 65 mph all day and with the trailer brakes stopping is no problem either. I really just want to know what my truck is approved to tow. It all started when my bro. in law asked me about buying a camper to tow with his Trailblazer.

So you are saying in fact that the GCVWR is 12k?? If so that's pretty good for a truck that's not much longer than a "heep".

I thought I may have been reading the dually thing wrong. I need to go back and look again but it said right there "7500" :dunno: . I'll go check it again.

14. dremu

Brochure for the '90 listed GCWR for the full-size Blazer as 12k. Heeps are smaller both in length and width, which affects the tail-wagging-the-dog aspect of towing ... and yeah, K5's rock :D

For the duallies make sure it's not a C&C and not an NBS ;)

-- A

15. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

How much does this Camper weigh and how tall is it?

I actually think 6K is rated too high for a K5, IMHO. Sure, you could pull 6K worth of trailer that has tandem brakes on a nice sunny day with beautifull weather. I've even pushed 8K multiple times with my K5 that is super tall with 35" boggers. The sun was out, I have decent brakes now (14BFF) and I didn't go far.

BUT, I think 6K is too much when you factor in real world situations.... how many of you would like to pull 6K worth of trailer with your K5 in a snow storm? How about a road that is iced up really bad. How about just in a good rain storm down the freeway in California 5pm traffic?

I've been there, K5's aren't safe at that weight in those types of conditions.

Heck, I've got a 27' enclosed van type snowmoble trailer that weighs 7K with a 2002 Dodge 4wd Dually Cummins pulling it. Terribly iced up two lane road, wind blowing like crazy, and a gust that blew the whole truck two feet towards the icy ditch.

I could dump all my sleds out my trailer and have a dry weight of 3,800lbs with my 27', and you couldn't pay me to pull it with my K5 in STOCK (I wouldn't even consider with the lift and tires) condition on the same stretch of highway with same weather conditions.

16. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

My camper is a lower profile camper. It's not one of those you see that looks like its 2 ft. off the ground and has 7 ft. of headroom inside. I know that this camper is right at the towing limits of a K5, but I've towed this camper thousands of miles and have had no problems at all.

Since you gave your opinion, I'll give mine. In the aviation industry there are alot of "minimum" requirements that must be met for a safe flight. There is a saying that goes "if the minimum wasn't good enough, it wouldn't be the minimum". I think that sort of applies to the subject at hand. If 6K wasn't a safe maximum for a K5 to tow, it wouldn't be the maximum. I'm sure GM paid their engineers quite a bit to determine these figures. In fact, I'm of the opinion that the numbers are probably slightly low b/c of liability issues.
    Secondly, you described the worst possible weather conditions for towing. (Incidentally, here in MS snow storms and icey roads are not usually a problem and if they were I certainly wouldn't be towing a camper anywhere.) No, I wouldn't tow in the conditions you described. I wouldn't drive PERIOD in those conditions. If an 18 wheeler slides off the road in a snow storm does that mean he overloaded his truck? Sometimes the conditions are unfavorable, not just for towing, but for driving. If the wind pushed your entire rig two feet laterally, I think its safe to say you made a poor decision about being on the road to start with. Your truck's towing capability had NOTHING to do with safety in that situation. If I'm towing 12,000 lbs with my K5 and a tornado blows me off the road it wasn't because my rig was overloaded. Common sense must come into play at some point.
    Thirdly, even if I were towing a much smaller camper I would still have the equalizing hitch, anti sway bar, and trailer brakes. Putting forth the extra effort and expense to properly equip your rig before you hit the road is something that too many overlook.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  17. mr.smartass

This got me to thinking about things that would make a stock K5 a better tow rig... maybe extending the wheel base, a 14bff out back (maybe wider axles and tires on both ends to widen the stance), new gears, what else? I guess if you were gonna do all this you could probably just afford another truck. :o

18. dremu

These are sold from the factory, and are called Suburbans. :haha:

Or dually crew cabs :deal:

-- A

19. mogulmasher

mogulmasher Registered Member

I swear I've read before (think on gm-trucks.com) that GMs max trailer weights are in fact max weights in perfect conditions. The best thing to do when looking at towing specs is to try not to exceed 80% of the max. So truck rated to tow 10000 lbs shouldn't regularly tow a trailer more then 8000.

A good example is my '98 Yukon. Think my max trailer rating is 6700 lbs, when I have my 12' long v-nose snopro enclosed trailer behind it with 3 sleds I am probably pulling somewhere in the area of 3600 lbs. Let me tell you this a workout for this rig going through the mountains up north to maintain any sort of highway speed. I would never attach 6700 lbs behind it and tow it further then accross town. Of course there is also 3 guys and all there gear in the truck at the same time adding to the weight. Truck is heavy duty too, heavy duty suspesion (6800 lb gvw), its got towing package with trans cooler and engine oil cooler, I've had tranny rebuilt with all the good stuff (hd clutch packs, better servo, etc), and I added a B&M tranny controller that increases the firmness of shifts with the flick of a switch. Trailer still beats this truck to death.....of course I give it no mercy when its time to go riding we are on the fuel!!!:D

20. chopped&bobbed77burb

chopped&bobbed77burb 1/2 ton status

Back when I had my old 74 blazer that had a 5" lift and 36" swamper radials I towed and tandemed axle 20ft flatbed with a complete 2wd 75 suburban on it . I could do 50mph max . Anything over that and it would start wagging it's a$$ like a happy dog :eek1: . Mybe a stock rig will do better :dunno: . My suburban is 3/4 ton ( 1ton running gear now ) and the tag on the door is 8400 gvwr . I have towed a few things with it and it was all good but I only did 55 to 60 mph max and I had 42" swampers on it at the time + I didn't go very far . I think it's safe to say don't tow anything heavier than your blazer and anything 1 and a 1/2 times longer . You get something longer and heavier and it will push the back end around on you . wheelbase rules in towing world . I'm sure with the right senario you could push around a crewcab too . But it would take a hella lot more to do it .