Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weird 12 bolt bearings.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KENT, Jun 2, 2001.

1. KENT

KENT 1/2 ton status

Has anyone seen a 12 bolt with two different wheel bearings? One side matches the NAPA bearings and seals that I bought. The other is a larger bearing that sits further out on the tube and has a seal that rides inside of the bearing race, not in the tube.

What's up with this?

Any idea what the part number is for the seal or where to get one. NAPA was no help. they just said that I was mistaken and would not take the bearing or seals back. Jerks.

Kent

1989 K5

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

It looks like somewhere along the way someone replaced one of the bearings with a double wide Green Bearing. I dont know where you can buy them to get a replacement, but they do have a website. www.greenbearing.com. You may be able to buy direct from the company for a replacement. From what Ive heard these bearings are worth the price so I would definitely replace the bearing with a new one from Green.

'82 K5 6.2 Diesel, sm 465 np 205, 35" muds

3. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

DepDog ran them for a while in his truck and he said recently that he wouldn't really recomend them. Didn't get into details about it, just took his word for it.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>

4. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I asked him about them and he said they were sealed on both ends and that you had to pull the axles to grease them once in a while .Think he said he switched to regular Timken ones.

All work and no beer makes Frizz a dull boy

5. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

The wider one is an "axle-saver" bearing. They are used when the axle shaft is damaged when the original bearing goes bad. The axle-aver bearing moves the bearings and seal out to a different spot on the axle so that the axle doesn't have to be replaced.

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Those bearings are supposed to let you keep driving on a ruined axle. Since the axle shaft itself is the inner bearing race on that axle, you typically have to replace the axle shaft once it starts to pit where the bearing rides. Those special bearings move the bearing out so that the rollers are now riding on a previously unworn part of the shaft.

The ones that I've seen only have an outer seal for the axle shaft, so internal lube can still reach the bearings. They also have an o-ring that seals the outer part of the bearing to the housing. The whole idea is a bit scary to me. The bearing is no longer supported properly by the axle housing and you're riding around on an axle that is less than perfect. Not a great idea when you consider that the wheel will leave the vehicle on that axle if the shaft breaks. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

7. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Ha-ha, beat-ya Harry :-).

Tim

70 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    87 Burb 4X4 350
    01 GMC 2500HD 4X4 Duramax/Allison