Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

weird brake setup on CUCV K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84K5cedric, Mar 9, 2003.

1. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

This is an 84 CUCV K5... why doesn't it have a brake booster and what's up with the lines that run from the PS pump up behind the master cylinder? Is this just non-power brakes? But what's up with the PS lines? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[​IMG]

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That is "Hydro-boost". A diesel doesn't make vacuum so they use the pressure from the power steering to hydraulicly do the job. I have the same on my Jimmy.

Rene

3. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

yeah, what rene said. good stuff. i converted my 74 as well.
    grant

4. 84K5cedric

84K5cedric 1/2 ton status

ok, so tell me... is it a good thing, or should it be changed over to a standard setup in the case of a 350 conversion?

5. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

A freind of mine had the booster and did a swap to the Hydro-boost setup and loves it to death. My k5 has 37 inch tires and when I go to stop it takes a little effort to stop.
    I have driven his K5 with 42 inch tires and hit the brakes it will all most put you in the windsheild I wish I had that setup on my Blazer.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

There is no reason to get rid of it. I find I get great braking with mine, that's with D60 front (big disc's) and a rear disc conversion on the rear. The pedal effort isn't huge, they're not overly sensitive, and the braking seems well balanced.

You may need to find a way to mount the hydro boost resevoir/pump assembly on sbc brackets though.

If the 6.2 is still good I'd just keep it...great motor for rock crawling! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

rene