Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

weird clicking noise

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thezentree, Mar 28, 2004.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

my truck's making a weird clicking noise. sounds kinda like a bad u-joint, but i cant see how that would be the case, they were replaced with spicer units less than 10,000 miles ago. it only does it between 2000 and 2400 rpms, when accelerating from a stop (normal acceleration, not buryin the pedal). and it only does it sometimes. i can get on the throttle at like 45 or 50mph and it won't make the noise, even at those rpms. it sounds kinda like an exhaust leak, but im not sure it is. its coming from under the midsection of the truck, around where the catalytic converters/tranny/t-case would be. i cant see any holes in the exhaust system, and the rear driveshaft is rock solid, not gonna move at all. any ideas? /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

edit: i just took the truck out to play with it, see if i could figure out what the noise was. i still dont know, but i dont think its an exhaust leak, cause it doesnt do it when im in 4wd. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

2. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

what trans, and can you here it just idleing forward?

3. thezentree

4L60E, no, i cant hear it when im idling forward. it also wont do it if the trans is in neutral and the engine is at 2000-2400 rpms

edit: yea, it might help if it tell what kinda truck it is... 1997 yukon 350/4L60E/241

4. thezentree

so...?

i got to drive it tomorrow, i need help /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I'd make sure it's not a cracked flexplate....

6. thezentree

luckily (i think), im sick as hell, so im gonna be home all day. how expensive is a cracked flexplate? i have neither the tools or the know-how to mess with my transmission, so if anything, ill have my friend's dad (tranny guy) take a look at it later today.

i was reading a thread on nc4x4.com no more than 10 minutes ago about a taco that cracked a flexplate and got stranded 100 miles from home. sounds like a LOT of fun /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

7. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

is there a way to visibly check for this. I was under the k5 yesterday and heard a clicking coming from the flexplate area. I checked with a flash light and did not see any cracks. While it was running, the noise is def from that area... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif. Where do they typically crack? I also noticed that there were weights on the flexplate.....this is a 383..is this normal?

8. thezentree

good news - bad u-joint
    bad news - i'm an idiot

didn't grease 'em /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif