Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weird Computer Problem - Second Hard Drive Just Disappered!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ARAMP1, Sep 12, 2006.

1. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

Okay, something weird has just happened. Maybe one of you guys knows something about this.

I got up this morning and noticed that one of my hard drives is missing. It’s still there and plugged in. The BIOS shows that it is still there, but when I go into my computer, it isn’t there.

Here’s a little history. I built this computer a little over a year ago. I’m running windows XP Pro with SP2. I’ve got the OS and most of my programs on a WD Raptor which is SATA. Then, I’ve got a 200 Gig WD SATA hard drive that I’ve got all my pictures and files on. This is the drive that’s missing. I’ve also got another WD 200 Gig drive that’s IDE that I have all my music on. This one is fine.

Here’s what I’ve done so far. I’ve tried unplugging it and restarting the computer. I then plug it back in and restart again. No luck. I then tried re-adding the drive, but then the computer locks up. I’ve tried plugging it into another SATA slot and I’ve used another SATA cable with no luck.

Is my drive fried?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2006
  2. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

Yeah...just throwing it out there...

3. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

you say that it detects in the bios fine though??? I would listen for any clicking or bearing noise. Also go, start>settings>control panel>administrator tools> computer management, once in computer management go to disk management and see if your drive shows up there. There is a posibility it is in there its just way fragmented and corrupt. Also you can boot from the windows xp recovery console, and run a CHKDSK /R and that will fix all hd errors. Thats a start good luck :thumb:

4. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

good luck and hope you have a backup. WD drives are the WORST in the business for reliability.

5. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Is it listed in the device manager? If it is, try uninstalling it, then restart the comp.

Check your system logs, see if Windows has detected a problem with it.

WD has some good diagnostic software from the website to see if the HD is bad. I have "WD Diagnostics", they make both Windows and DOS based programs.

I have always had good luck with WD drives. I wouldnt say they are the worst, most OE drives Ive seen are far worse.