Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weird Deposits in Tailpipe

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Qubit, Apr 27, 2002.

1. Qubit

Qubit Registered Member

I got a 1996 Tahoe and I noticed some orangish-red crust in the right tailpipe.
    Anyone ever seen this type of thing before? Could this be a sign of coolant
    getting into the combustion chamber?

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm not sure why, but for some reason I want to say it sounds like your catalytic convertor has started breaking down internally, sending dust down the exhaust system.

I think I saw this a long time ago.........

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

After I got my 40delta series and dual tips i noticed a rust colored powder in the exhuast similar to waht you're describing color-wise... i didnt know what the hell it was. I got a highflow cat and new pipes from the manifold back and now the exhaust tips' insides are black (normal im guessing? cuz thats how my friends are) So maybe canmore is right, the cat / pipes corroding may have something to do with it

4. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

This is not possible to be from a cat, and if you have ever seen the inside of a cat youd know why. Cats have either grey honeycomb, or black pellets in them.
    Does you rig have DEX-COOL ( a.k.a. orange death corrosion helper! ) in it, or regular anti-freeze? If it has DEX-COOL it is probably a seeping head gasket, i would suggest going to a local shop, and request a emission in coolant test. ( it is a bulb of liquid put over your rad. inlet and checks for fumes in coolant )