Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weird electrical ignition problem!?!?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by KrebsATM02, Mar 30, 2003.

1. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

I was going to my friends about a week ago and all of a sudden my truck shut off. Radio still had power, not hooked up to the ignition, the lights worked, etc... the only thing that didn't work was the ignition. So i went and played with a couple of the ignition wires that come out of the fuse block and then it fired back up......

So today i'm going to pick something up from my brother and it dies at the end of the street. Same problem but fumbling with the wires doesn't work this time. Also turned on the hazards but they don't work. At this point I'm frustrated, so i run home and get my roomate to come pull me back to the house. When i got back to my truck the hazards were on and i knew it would start up since they were on, and it did....

So, do ya'll think the problem is in the column??? Or the ignition tumbler??? I don't trust it right now to get me anywhere because it is an intermittent problem.

Also, i tightened up the tilt steering bolts about 4 months ago and everything looked fine. I also removed the steering column when i swapped in the clutch/brake pedals for the 465.

Any suggestions????? Thanks

2. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Try cleaning the connections on the engine wiring junction block under the hood on the driver side of the firewall. I had a similar problem and once I finally checked that I never had the same problems again.

3. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

I had a simular problem that turned out to be a loose stud on the starter solenoid. I think you're correct to check out the column though since your hazzards weren't working. I hate tracing electrical problems. good luck.

4. KrebsATM02

[ QUOTE ]
    Try cleaning the connections on the engine wiring junction block under the hood on the driver side of the firewall. I had a similar problem and once I finally checked that I never had the same problems again.

[/ QUOTE ]

My lights, radio, etc... still work, it isn't that link, it's something with the ignition.

Oh well i guess i know what i ahve to do, trace the ignition wires and find out where they lose power. Just hoping someone had a similar problem and could help!

5. ccox7

ccox7 Registered Member

You may be losing voltage to your ignition in the run position.I would check the switch which is mounted on column,if its old i would replace it.Also check the connector for the turn signals etc.,make sure it has good connection.What year is your Blazer?

6. KrebsATM02

It's an 88, and i'm thinking it might be some kinda ground in the steering column, even though i don't recall there being one in there. The only reason is because the hazards won't work when this is happening. What do you think?

7. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Check wires to the starter...mine did that exact thing and one of the wires came off the starter...

8. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

electrical problems suck...im not sure of hand whats wrong with yours but i had the complete oppostise problem...nothing worked but my ignition lol..(it ran and thats about it. guess id rather have that problem than it not starting though. but mine turned out to be a broken connection on the body ground..

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If I recall correctly, there are *2* fusible links (actually 4, but bear with me) and each link supplies power to certain components...lights on one, ignition on the other.

You'd think they wouldn't work intermittently, but it's happened before to people.

Also seen a bad connection at the firewall fuse panel connector, pulling it off (one bolt in the center) and then putting it back cured the no start problem.