Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

weird front alignment

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by trogdor4x4, Apr 10, 2004.

1. trogdor4x4

trogdor4x4 Registered Member

The truck doesn't pull to the left or right, but ever since I got it (last August) I have noticed, while looking at my front tires (on the truck), the top of the tires were further apart from the bottom part of the tires. I am sorry if that doesn't make sense, but neither wheel is vertical, they are both leaning outward. Is this a bad thing or normal, serious or okay for now? The alignment computer didn't notice anything, so I don't know what to think. I would like to understand what is going on. Thanks ahead of time. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I'd like to hear some input on this as well, since i installed my new front axle, mine seems the same way /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Ball joints may be shot.

Are your rims actually kicked out or just the tires? If the rims are straight up and down you might check to see if your toe is correct. AZK5 had this problem when he swapped in his Dana 60 front axle. We adjusted his toe and the tires went back to straight up and down.

If the rims are not verticle I would suspect your ball joints (assuming this is a 1/2 or 3/4 ton front). To check for ball joints use a jack to lift a tire off the ground then try pushing and pulling the tire at the top and see if you get movement. If you do your balljoints are probably bad.

To check toe you measure the distance between the tires in front of the axle and then behind the numbers shoule only be 1/8 - 3/16" different. The front should be narrower then the rear by that much.

Harley

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Mine personally i know for a fact the ball joints are good, i replaced them.
    I didn't see anything on the front axle setup to be able to adjust this setting. Mine is a 10 bolt.

5. Hossbaby50

Is the rim actually not sitting vertically or just the tire? Matt's tires rolled outward on the bottom when his toe was messed up. Made it look all pre runner till we adjusted it.

You adjust toe by loosening your jam nuts and adjusting the tierod to make the tire point farther in or our.

Harley

6. Hossbaby50

Take a level and place it against your locking hub when you are on a level surface to see if they are vertical or not.

Did you use the right to to adjust the upper ball joint when you installed them. That might make a difference but I don't know for sure.