Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weird fumes came out of main cap!?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by marine_enlisted, Mar 23, 2003.

1. marine_enlisted

marine_enlisted 1/2 ton status

This happened to me a while back. I was tearing down a 327 out of a 69 Impala. When I cracked bolts for the main caps. Some sort of fumes along with a bubbly white substance came from underneath the bolts. Whatever it was it took my breath away. It smelled like a really strong chlorine scent. Has this ever happened to anyone else? Anyone know what the heck it was? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif It's only happened to me that one time.

2. Lonnie

Lonnie 1/2 ton status

It is common to find a grey like paste on the main bolts. The older the engine the worse it is. Not sure exactly what it is, but it does tend to smell a little strange. I've been told that is a result of combustion by-products reacting with the oil over a long period of time.

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I smell it with every engine I have torn down! stinks, don't it! but a normal by-product.