Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weird humming noise. PLEASE HELP.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zach78k5, Nov 13, 2003.

1. zach78k5

zach78k5 1/2 ton status

I just swapped my 10 bolt with a 3.73 12 bolt. It makes a somewhat loud humming noise that increases with speed. I had the brakes done so it is not the shoes/drums. could this be wheel bearings? If not, what else could be causing this noise. Fluid level is fine in the diff. Any help would be great. I am a bit worried.

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Did you pull the cover and inspect the gears? I am affraid you may have problems with the gears. It would be worth the time to pull the cover and look closely at them.

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Pinion bearings would be easy to diagnose... just give it a wiggle to check for slop.

Could be the carrier bearings if its kind of a 'growl'. Best way to tell is with the cover off. Try to pry the case side-to-side in the housing. If there's slop, they're toast. Gears are wrecked pretty quick too.

4. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

definetly pull the cover and look closely at the gears and see if the carier moves. I would also jack up the truck and see if the wheels will move back and forth to check the wheel bearings. Then wiggle the yoke to check the bearings there.

5. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status

If your truck is anything like mine, that noise is the whine of the speedo cable.