Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weird Idea.... Cummins in Jeep???

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Crunk_K5_1984, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Crunk_K5_1984

Crunk_K5_1984 Registered Member

I know it sounds crazy but I was thinking of putting a cummins diesel in a 97 Jeep Wrangler. The Jeep is for sale here in town, but I don't want a gasser period! Would a 5.9 Cummins or maybe a smaller (a friend has an I-6 Cummins, thinking about buying) be compatible??? How much would a used Cummins cost??? Also where to find turbo??? I know I sound loopy /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif but thanks for your help.

2. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

Ouch!
    Would be a little heavy, somewhere around 1000lbs. Now a 4BT cummins might be alittle better. In the '60s Jeep installed 4cyl perkins in some CJ-6s.

3. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

I think I heard once that they made a Chevy 4.3 Diesel...Not a turbo, but one could probably be added. Don't know if that's your bag or not, but it would be an easy fit.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I know it sounds crazy but I was thinking of putting a cummins diesel in a 97 Jeep Wrangler. The Jeep is for sale here in town, but I don't want a gasser period! Would a 5.9 Cummins or maybe a smaller (a friend has an I-6 Cummins, thinking about buying) be compatible??? How much would a used Cummins cost??? Also where to find turbo??? I know I sound loopy /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif but thanks for your help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey I have a 5.9 perkins in my blazer and that thing is nose heavy. If I were you I would stick with a 4cylinder for the jeep.
    Plenty to choose from just have to figure out the tranny combo.
    Nissan makes some of the best diesel, isuzu has them too, so does perkins and cummins.
    Check out the jeep 2.5 4 cylinder that is so popular in Europe.

5. Crunk_K5_1984

Any idea of how 2 find one? Also, I had my heart set on a v8, but a 4.3 in a vehicle as light as a jeep might do it... I would like to have a cummins or maybe a powerstroke, but I don't know how small they made engines...

6. Crunk_K5_1984

4bt???? What's that??? Also, what's the power rating hp/trq

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

8. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

I've never seen one, just saw a post once that they made one. I'd check on Ebay to see if you can find one. I know that European Nissan and Toyota Diesels are solid, at least from what I've heard.
    The Cummins would be awesome power in a Jeep, but I agree that you'd be way heavy up front, but you'd have torque for days.
    I'd do a search on Ebay for Diesel and see what comes up, you might get lucky.

9. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

My opinion... a 6BT would be way too much for a Jeep. Way hard to make it fit also. 4bt would be nice, and has been done numerous times.

I would stay away from a 4.3l GM diesel. I have heard of something like this, but never seen anyhting. I wouldnt want to put a motor like this in my vehicle. Talk about hard to find parts.

Ken H.

10. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

There was a jeep in 4wheeler magazine that had a cummins in it. Dont know which engine though.

11. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

If it's the same one I'm thinking about, it had the 4BT out of a bread or Fritos truck. Tough as nails little diesel. I think it's around 130hp and 300 lb/ft of torque. I recently saw a website selling the Cummins engine followed by a SM465 still mounted on half of a frame out of a bread truck. They were asking $3000. I'll see if I can find the site. Good luck.
    Chris /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

12. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status