Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weird Idle... I think...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by njonl, Feb 9, 2004.

1. njonl

njonl 1/2 ton status

Hi,

Just bought a really clean '89 Blazer. It has a newer rebuilt motor that is TBI. I bought the truck and the guy was explaining to me about the cam it has in it. He said that he usually runs with the EGR unplugged because it runs smoother. So today, I plugged in the EGR to see what happens. The truck idle's fine. I notice a little hesitation when taking off. The big thing is.. when I am driving and I am coming to a stop, when the truck is idleing down at a low RPM, all of a sudden it will act like it has a monster cam in it. It will lope and act like it's going to die but it won't. Weird thing. Any idea's ? Thanks.

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

What are the specs on the cam? It the engine runs better with the EGR disconnected then it is bad and needs to be replaced...

3. njonl

njonl 1/2 ton status

Don't know the exact specs. The previous owner said it is a mild RV cam. What needs to be replaced ? The EGR ? The weird thing about that is.. he took the truck to smog and it passed with the EGR hooked up. Thanks,

Nick

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Cams for TBI models are really tame. If you put a 'normal' mild RV cam it 'upsets' the ecm...they're sensitive little souls at heart! If you can live with it then save yourself time and money. Otherwise you'll have to put a proper computer friendly cam in. Most the big companies make them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif