Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weird Idle- new engine

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Aug 31, 2002.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Whats the deal? Brand new engine professionally installed... and today i opened it up, cleaned and painted the wheel wells in the engine bay and cleaned some stuff up. And now my idle kicks from 700-900 constantly when im sittin at a light or parked. Seems to drive fine everywhere else? Any ideas? thanks

2. Frank74

Frank74 Registered Member

If you are running a radical cam then it might. I am unsure. I run an ftermarket camshaft in my 350, and idle will jump from 600-650. Not too bad, but is pretty funny to watch on my little sears tach/dwell/amp thing, forget what it is called.

3. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Does it have enough coolant in it? On a tbi engine there is a coolant temp. sensor on the front of the intake. If there is not enough coolant in the system it will change the fuel mixture/idle speed because the computer thinks the engine is cold and then hot, etc. Just something to check. My brothers engine did this when he first put it in his truck. It would run fine until the thermostat opened.

4. Frank74

Frank74 Registered Member

Yeah, 4x4freak has got this one nailed. I don't know too much, so i'll stay low-profile.

5. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Im positive it has coolant...I filled it up when i was cleaning the engine bay... maybe I filled it up too much? would that cause it to happen? I opened up the radiator and filled it to the tip top. Should I let some go or what? Thanks

6. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

You cant fill it up too much. Did you fill it up with it running? It's usually best to fill it up right after the thermostat opens, this way the coolant is flowing through the whole system and it can work the air out better.

Does the engine still do this whenever it is still cold or all the time?

Also check all of your wire connections, it's possible that you could've knocked something loose while you were under there.