Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weird knocking noise

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 4xfreak, Jan 17, 2003.

1. 4xfreak

4xfreak Registered Member

I trust a lot of what you veteran diesel guys have to say about this noise my engine has developed in the past couple of days so let me ask away. What could it be? I hear this knocking coming from the front lower end of my engine, and it is only when I am idling stopped at a light or in traffic, I have no clue as to what it is. Any suggestions before the weekend would be helpful because I plan on dropping the oil pan to take a peek at the bottom end. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

I cant tell you exactly what it is without actually hearing it, but you can easily locate what cylinder its from (if its a problem from only one cylinder) by loosening an injector line while the engine is running and seeing if the knock goes away. It could be anything from a simple miss to a broken crank or anything in between.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If it's anything like what mine had when I bought it, it's a rod bearing.
    If it's still minor you could get away by changing bearings.
    Mine was too far gone there was no bearing, and the crank was badly pited. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    Change the oil and see if there is silver flakes in there.

4. 4xfreak

Thanks for the advice guys, I changed the oil a day after the noise started happening and there were no flakes in it at all, I also had no deposits on the drain plug itself because it is magnetic. I think what I will have to do is crack one of the injectors and see if the noise goes away, also I will remove the balancer again and install it all over maybe one side is pushed away from the block or maybe it is not seated properly. Thanks again for the info, I do appreciate it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 4xfreak

Found out what the noise was! My water pump was taking a dive on me, it is now replaced and everything purrs like a 6.2 should. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif