Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Weird noise after dropping transfer case???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazin Ed, May 5, 2002.

1. Blazin Ed

Blazin Ed Registered Member

With my 4" susp lift there was some vibration in the back so I installed a t-case drop down from Skyjacker, the spacers are 1.5" long. Question: I adjusted the linkage for the t-case and column shifter but there's a strange sound when I have it in Reverse. When in gear and not even moving It feels like a super rough idle or small grind, shifting it into P-N-D-2-1 is like it normally is, smooth idle... Does the motor get torqued differently in Reverse?? Don't wanna drive it too far until I figure this out but other than that it feels the same before I dropped the t-case... Anybody experience this? Any suggestions?

2. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Yes the motor does torque the opposite direction when in reverse. (motor is still turning the same way obviously but the output shaft of the Tcase is trying to turn or turning when moving, the other way which make the motor and tranny twist the opposite direction.) Im trying to think of what could be going on when your not moving but I am drawing a blank. If you said you were moving then maybe the truck was trying to drop into park and that would be the sound you were hearing.

3. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem with using the factory spacers. I ended up putting in a few washers between the frame and crossmember instead to angle the front of the crossmember down to clearence my 1350 CV. Here is a picture. http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albup82/aab

I think the problem I had, using the factory spacers, was the motor mounts were binding causing the grinding sound in reverse.

4. maybe droping the case 1 1/2 inches was enough to make your trannie linkage out of wack. might need to re-adjust it.